Barack Hussein Obama, The LGBT Christian

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Arnie Guitar, Mar 6, 2008.

1. saxon

saxon

John 8:2-11

Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The Scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and placing her in the midst they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now the law of Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him.

Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone." And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?"

She said, "No one, Lord."

And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

#31     Mar 6, 2008
  2. All that means is that you're part of a tiny minority of ultra-zealot fundamentalist Christians who are doomed to extinction.

The vast majority of Christians agree that there are parts of the Bible that do not lend themselves to literal interpretation and that a 100% literal interpretation of biblical texts is not only impossible but pointless in the modern era.

Therefore the vast majority of real Christians (that is, people of religious leaning who retain some degree of common sense) disagree with you.
    What more needs to be said?

#32     Mar 6, 2008
  3. you complain against Christians, but you are an amazingly negative individual. I doubt you understand much of what you are offering up as evidence.

#33     Mar 6, 2008
  4. Me? Negative? Bite your tongue. Further, my commentary is on religion in general and not any specific one. Okay, let's overlook the hypocricy of some notable western religious leaders. Let's overlook the past quiet and routine rotation of pedophile priests to other parishes, rather than their arrest or dismissal. Let's look at larger numbers. Let's try for a more global perspective. Want to bask in the glory of organized religion? Try the Middle East. Don't forget your flak jacket.

#34     Mar 7, 2008
  5. There are many warnings in the New Testament about false prophets. Preachers are human and fallible. Only Jesus was without sin.

I know those who dislike or are skeptical of religion like to point to ministers who have been disgraced and use them to tarnish the entire body of Christ, but they are in fact a tiny minority.

Just like in other professions, it is also possible that they helped many people over their careers, only to suffer a personal failing that ruined them.

One of the fundamental principles of Christianity is we trust in Jesus not in men.

#35     Mar 7, 2008
  6. Humpy

Humpy

There is a certain feel-good factor in religion that is often missing when only the facts are presented.

I think religion as in science should evolve.It is an evolving philosophy of how to live one's life. Its a pity the extremists are stuck in the past. The Bible and other texts were a first attempt to corral various ideas into a viable philosophy. This should be built upon over the centuries but sadly often hasn't been.
    Modern ideas suit modern times.

This is a post Christian, Jewish, Moslem world. Lets move on from the primitive to the enlightened !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36     Mar 7, 2008
  7. Hey Thunderdog, it's pointless to argue with fundamentalist about their religion. The passages in the bible they want to take literally is literal, the passages they want to take as an analogy is an analogy. It's the perfect world for them they can hate and criticize and judge others by the bible but the parts that condemn themselves don't apply because it's only an analogy or whatever twisted logic they use to excuse themselves from their own bibles teachings. It's also fun to listen to Christians tell how they are real Christians and the other sects aren't understanding or practicing the bible like it is supposed to be. Because they believe it, it is fact and everyone who disagrees with them is wrong. Ask a baptist about the church of Christ or methodist or catholic, they all will tell you the other is wrong.

#37     Mar 9, 2008
  8. Humpy

Humpy

Unfortunately I was half awake but there was an interesting interview of an ordinary man in New York who was brought up without any religion but racially a Jew.
    He decided to see if one could live by the Bible literally in this day and age. I think he said there about 600 rules to abide by in the old Testament besides the 10 Commandments.
    He didn't shave, wore a white robe and sandals etc. etc.
    If you are interested in how he got on in this experiment you could read his book. I think his name was something Jacobs.

#38     Mar 9, 2008
  9. No doubt there is some truth to what you write, but all it proves is that mankind is imperfect. It says nothing about the validity of Christianity.

Either Jesus was real or He was not. That is the only important question.

#39     Mar 9, 2008
  10. I agree with bigarrow. As for your question on whether Jesus is real, that depends on what you mean by "real." And try not to forget that people cannot seem to agree with what happened less that 70 years ago, let alone what happened over 2,000 years ago when history was not recorded with nearly the precision it has been recorded in more recent times.

#40     Mar 9, 2008