BAR BY BAR -- Al Brooks

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Swan Noir, Jun 24, 2009.

1. His book led me to rethink my approach to trading, and has put money in my pocket. Can't argue with cash.

#41     Aug 9, 2009
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Could not agree more. The writing in Brooks' book is terrible. That's what makes it difficult to read. And the charts are too small. The printing is terrible. It has the potential to be a good book, but this first edition is not it. I've read both dbphoenix's e-book and the Brooks' book cover to cover, both have worthwhile stuff to say, but the dbphoenix book is the better buy (free!), and much better written.

In any book, if you don't place your own prejudices in the background, i.e., omit them, you risk discrediting your entire manuscript. Brooks' makes that mistake twice. I don't understand why John Wiley didn't crack down on him, but they did not. And why, Oh why, didn't they edit the writing to make it intelligible? A shame.

#42     Aug 9, 2009
  3. ECDINOVO

ECDINOVO

#43     Aug 12, 2009
  4. I am curious as to what two prejudices you believe he has failed to put aside. Trading related or political or life view? I COMPLETELY subscribe to your views on the writing, editing (if there was any) and charts. It's hard to take when a guy has things to say that I need to hear.

#44     Aug 12, 2009
  5. GiantDog

GiantDog

During the last seminar that good ol' Al Brooks gave, did anyone notice that at the end when he was taking questions he was asked what a bad day for him would be? He really didn't answer and more or less made it sound like he never has a losing day. I highly doubt if he is that good.

#45     Aug 12, 2009
  6. A lot of posters seem to like this book.
    I honestly didn't get much farther than the 1st chapter, since it is quite reminiscent of most of the other common TA books (IMO).
    My contention is the same as many other 'TA' books; it is sorely lacking in any type of statistical or back/forward OOS-test quantification.

Common assertions he makes like "the odds favor a continuation of that direction," reference absolutely zero evidence to back up that assertion. It would be nice if he actually took some sample of many such actions, and literally evaluated the 'odds' with a quantifiable value.

Take a simple book, like trade like a hedge fund or Crabel's older stuff, and you'll see more of the type of quantified results that these types of 'classical TA' books lack. Even Covel's 'trend following' book (which many here seem to oddly disdain), has concrete backtest examples in the back. Unfortunately, even the back-test only books are quickly becoming obsolete.

2c to newbies. Enjoy the anecdotal TA books caught in the dark ages; along with lingering unanswered questions, they will quickly pile up on your shelves until you finally begin to embark on modern methodologies.

----------------------------------
    If anyone sees any kind of statistical or quantifiable backtests in the book, please correct me; I'm always open to constructive criticism.:D

#46     Aug 12, 2009
  7. sync

sync

It looks to me like the book by dbphoenix is a 23 page excerpt of a book that is not free.

I just downloaded the dbphoenix ebook. It has the most unusual opening I've ever seen for a trading book:

"Many years ago (Really in Market terms this is like Dogs Years in Reverse)..... i.e. days..... there were several good folk. Some were beautiful Women Folk, some were Handsome Men Folk, and others were like me..... kinda short, Fat and on the Homely side."

#47     Aug 15, 2009
  8. DB is a very intriguing character. Ask him to provide any proof that what he does actually works.

The reply should be entertaining. He is now posting regularly at traders lab and bringing the noobs along w/ his gibberish.

:eek:

#48     Aug 15, 2009
  9. PCanyon

PCanyon

I notice Brooks' site is down. Has this just happened or has it been awhile?

#49     Aug 24, 2009
  10. "Bar by bar?" Sounds like a pub crawl to me.

#50     Aug 24, 2009