Banning Illegal immigrants? Wouldnt that destroy the US economy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mahram, Apr 10, 2006.

Would the economy collapse without illegal immigrants?

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. no

68 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. well if you are speaking of hypocrisy lets look at the republican party. Where you have people who used the church to justify everything they did, till it came to something like illegal immigration. I thought helping others was part of christianity. Its the old racist and segragationist past coming up again in the republican party. Its like after the antiabortion rallys, you have the local pastors going lets bring over our mexican christians, and you have the good old boys going woah woah, what are you talking about, right before they dawned their white hoods.

#31     Apr 10, 2006
  2. Nitro, dear sir, illegals use fake SS #, there even exists an entire black market for this sort of thing. The majority of illegals are in possession of a false ss card. I suggest you leave the house more often.

#32     Apr 10, 2006
  3. nice total nonsequiter dood.

not to mention the only person curently in congress that ever wore a white hood is a DEMOCRAT - Sen. Byrd.

but this has NOTHING to do with repubs/dems. it has to do with national sovereignty, and with the hypocrisy of the mexican govt. which facilitates their citizens illegally immigrating into the US, and criticizes the US govt. for protecting (to what little extent we do) our borders, when they have dominant border protection from their SOUTHERN neighbors, and they almost completely prohibit immigrants (even LEGAL ones) from participation in their society and govt.

here's the quote again. try to stay ON TOPIC. the fact that you can't shows that you feel the actual topic is a loser for you.

and again, this has NOTHING to do with dem/repub dichotomy, since they BOTH suck on border protection.

here's the quote

well if you are speaking of hypocrisy lets look at the republican party. Where you have people who used the church to justify everything they did, till it came to something like illegal immigration. I thought helping others was part of christianity. Its the old racist and segragationist past coming up again in the republican party. Its like after the antiabortion rallys, you have the local pastors going lets bring over our mexican christians, and you have the good old boys going woah woah, what are you talking about, right before they dawned their white hoods.

#33     Apr 10, 2006
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Actually, it's both ways, JB. So, Nitro was only half wrong. ;-)

#34     Apr 10, 2006
  5. Use the same tactics that brought them here. Economics!

If they could not find work, would they still come?
    If the maximum wage for an illegal was say $.50 or $.75 an hour would they still come? would they stay?

The tax payer didn't pay to bring them here, nor do we need to spend a dime to get rid of them.

#35     Apr 10, 2006
  6. All the dire predictions of what would happen if they all magically disappeared one day are meaningless. No one is suggesting that. What is being suggested is (1) get control of the border and (2) begin to implement a system that forces employers to ascertain if those workers who just got off the van are actually here legally. Over time, that will gradually reduce both the supply and the demand for illegals. Then we can decide about what makes sense in terms of "guest workers", etc, and see if the ones here begin to assimilate just a little.

If they continue to act like they would prefer to be in mexico, I say send them home.

#36     Apr 10, 2006
  7. I still cant believe I am going to have to pay more for strawberries and mow my own lawn....

wtf is this world coming to???

oh the humanity of it all.....

#37     Apr 10, 2006
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Yeah....And, you're going to have to change your own sheets when you stay at Motel 6.

#38     Apr 10, 2006
  9. Who will I tip at the car wash? I do not feel as good when I tip a gringo...

#39     Apr 10, 2006
  10. dchang0

dchang0

What evidence do you have that supports your claim that our economy is "fragile?" Economic stats from the past few years have been strong across the board, and the recent highs of the major indices refute your claim.

Also, there's a lot more than just Social Security to "pay into." I live in Southern California, where the uninsured poor are systematically causing trauma centers to shut down.

Thanks to a law that prohibits hospital trauma centers from turning away patients, no matter how serious the injury or disease. This law makes it possible for the poor to treat emergency rooms as free clinics, going in for common colds to get free meds.

Pretty soon, even those of us who can and want to pay for emergency health care won't be able to, because as each trauma center in SoCal shuts down, the poor swarm over to the next nearest center.

I'd say that that's a serious cost--it may cost me my LIFE the next time I get into a serious accident and there are no trauma centers near enough for me to survive.

Not to mention the actual real dollar cost of having to cover the illegal immigrant's free health care, which certainly far outweighs whatever they might pay into the system. A doctor's services are worth far more than an illegal farm worker's services, as PROVEN by the huge difference in compensation & lifestyle. (I work at a hospital, so I would know--lotsa doctors living in Newport Beach in multi-million-dollar homes.)

If you don't believe my anecdotal evidence, there is always the hard evidence: the IRS keeps stats on taxes, and it is a widely known fact that the top 50% of earners pay around 96% of the federal income tax burden.

See http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/250.html
    and take a look at Table 1, drawn directly from the IRS' official reports. The top 50% of earners paid 96.536% of the total income tax burden for the year 2003.

So, even if all illegal immigrants' earnings were reported, they AREN'T paying their fair share, especially since they receive so much in terms of social services. WE MIDDLE CLASS AMERICANS ARE SUBSIDIZING THEIR EXISTENCE, which is of course why they keep coming over in droves.

Basically, WE ARE ALREADY PAYING "$7 A HEAD OF LETTUCE" like some pro-immigrant fearmongers like to say, but not at the grocery store. We pay that in taxes instead. It's a HIDDEN cost, and we're not getting a good deal in the bargain.

#40     Apr 10, 2006