Banning Illegal immigrants? Wouldnt that destroy the US economy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mahram, Apr 10, 2006.

Would the economy collapse without illegal immigrants?

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. no

68 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. empee

empee

america is clearing sending a message that we don't care about the middle-lower class/lower-class. Nothing really different, but the pain extracted on these citizens just doesn't seem to be fair. But oh well, I'm rich (as most of you relative to illegals) and what do we care right?

The reality is that equilibrium will be reached when US wages fall/Mexican wages rise to reach equality.

#21     Apr 10, 2006
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Habla usted in Espanol?

Well, you better learn!!:p

#22     Apr 10, 2006
  3. Schaefer

Schaefer

How would America round up 12 million or more illegals and ship them back to where they've come from? It would take billions of dollars and many years to process the cases.

Also, wouldn't it make us look like the Nazis during WW2. Afterall, we're already trying to pry gold teeth out of some of our own alleged criminals and it's just a matter of time before some congress man/woman introduces bill for gas chambers.

Most of the illegals do not want to, or care to become citizens. They just want a piece of paper saying they're infact allowed to stay and to work.

Most of the immigrants, who came here legally run towards the nearest welfare and social offices as soon as they land their feet in America, as they're LEGALLY entitled towards the benefits. I should know, I live in South Florida. But most of the ILLEGALS, usually stay away from any federal or government offices for fear of deportation.

Most of the illegals do pay taxes if it was properly enforced by the employer (deducting FICA etc. from the paycheck). Some use phony SSN numbers to pay taxes, which never the less goes into our social security system. Some do not pay taxes because they do not exist in the system.

The myth about illegals sending all their wages, thus hurting US economy is also, a myth. These 12 million or so illegal aliens, also eat, drink, buy clothes and sometimes have some fun just like you and I. They do have to spend some money to live here in the US. Now the money they send back home is also used by their families to buy the essentials to live and those essentials usually come from our great country, the USA.

So as traders, we should look into this matter as a money making opportunity, which should also result in a win-win situation. Instead of granting permenant residency, citizenship and all that bull crap, why not just issue them temporary visas, give them a number and tax the hell out of them.

Sorry about the long rant had a tough day today :)

#23     Apr 10, 2006
  4. BSAM

BSAM

May 1st we'll see if we can live without these illegals. May 1st: No work, no school, no shopping.

I predict we all survive.

#24     Apr 10, 2006
  5. on the subject of pure hypocrisy i am quoting somebody who is quoting a research paper on how Mexico treats illegal and legal immigrants to ITS country.

the hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING

"Since Mexican political leaders from the ruling party and the opposition have been demanding that the United States ignore, alter or abolish its own immigration laws, they have opened their own internal affairs to American scrutiny. The time has come to examine Mexico's own glass house."
    ---J. Michael Waller, who is the Walter and Leonore Annenberg Professor of International Communication at the Institute of World Politics, and Vice President for Information Operations at the Center for Security Policy.
    Prof. Waller proceeds to examine Mexico's treatment of immigrants in a paper here.

"Summary:

"In brief, the Mexican Constitution states that:

"--Immigrants and foreign visitors are banned from public political discourse.
    "--Immigrants and foreigners are denied certain basic property rights.
    "--Immigrants are denied equal employment rights.
    "--Immigrants and naturalized citizens will never be treated as real Mexican citizens.
    "--Immigrants and naturalized citizens are not to be trusted in public service.
    "--Immigrants and naturalized citizens may never become members of the clergy.
    "--Private citizens may make citizens arrests of lawbreakers (i.e., illegal immigrants) and hand them to the authorities.
    "--Immigrants may be expelled from Mexico for any reason and without due process

#25     Apr 10, 2006
  6. mavdeck

mavdeck

Yeah I guess 1000 people die each year crossing the border because they don't want to be able to come here legally. I guess if millions of people were to leave their jobs and go back to their home country, with the unemployment rate at historic lows everything would magically be okay. 5 million jobs have been added in the past 30 months, yet only 10,000 green cards are available for the service industry annually.
    The "have a child here in the U.S. as to become legal as parents ," isn't how it works at all. Look it up.
    By the way, my friend who has been in the U.S. for over 12 years illegally just paid over $60,000.00 in income taxes from trading for 2005 alone.
    How much have some of you paid.

#26     Apr 10, 2006
  7. swheat

swheat

Exactly right. If you provide any kind of unskilled labor you are working for half of what you used to a few years ago.

The biggest losers in this battle are the US poor and lower middle class - more competition for jobs, lower wages, less accesses to govt. services such as welfare, medical, and education, and law enforcement.

The middle class will be paying to educate and provide medical and social services to these people. What we are saving on the cost of a head of lettuce we are paying in increased taxes to provide the above mentioned services, plus government overhead.

The biggest loss is money that is siphoned out of our economy and sent back to Mexico. Mexico’s second biggest source of income is money sent back by families working in the US. This is money that should go to the local grocer, that should be used to pay the delivery man, that works for the bakery down the street, who buys bags from the local paper mill, who buys…

Congress will not pass any meaningful legislation to stop this.
    And if they did, local government and law enforcement will not raise a finger to enforce it.

As it stands now, the law of the land is don’t ask and don’t tell about citizenship. Stand out on the street corner and get paid cash for working, taxes are for sissies and fools.

I think as a protest, every citizen should abide by the don’t ask don’t tell policy and we should ALL become day laborers. Let’s not be racist and single people out! I am just waiting for the first group of small business owners who are going to take the lead on this and fire all their employees and re-hire them on a day labor basis.

#27     Apr 10, 2006
  8. yeah we can live without illegals but would we like it. Like I said, we can be middle east free from oil, but would we like paying 200$ a barrel? No we wouldnt.

#28     Apr 10, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

Illegal immigrants don't form unions. In addition, many of them get payed in cash since no SS#.

From these two facts, all else follows through simple induction.

nitro

#29     Apr 10, 2006
  10. BSAM

BSAM

But, he's still what? (Please fill in the blanks)---

I_ _ _ _ _ _

#30     Apr 10, 2006