Banning Illegal immigrants? Wouldnt that destroy the US economy

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mahram, Apr 10, 2006.

Would the economy collapse without illegal immigrants?

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. no

68 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. labor with real wages, would increase agricultural costs with 10% ....an extra few cents for a head of lettuce...

#11     Apr 10, 2006
  2. Look..immigrants are not the problem. Its when they do not come in to the USA under the rules...its the illegal part that is just plain and simple wrong!....get a clue thread author...

We leave our borders open like you leave your front door unlocked when you go away...NOT!

When I married my Swedish Wife 17 years ago, we had to follow the rules.... why don't the hispanics?

Michael B.

#12     Apr 10, 2006
  3. bitrend

bitrend

I hope you don't have many problems from the North Border. :D

#13     Apr 10, 2006
  4. Son, it's a good thing you bury yourself in a cave behind a computer because you really haven't a notion how the real world works. If you simply think you can remove a major component of the food chain and this fragile economy of ours can simply "re-adjust" in short order then you are severly misguided. And guess what folks, these people do, in fact, pay into our ravaged social security system. In fact, many of them wont even be around to collect on that ponzi scheme when the time comes. Yes, good luck with this effort to expunge our cheap and willing labor source out of the system.

#14     Apr 10, 2006
  5. tomhaden

tomhaden

If the title has U.S. and some doom and gloom phrase, you know its our good anti-U.S. friend, Mahram.

I like how its always posted as a question too.

So predictable.

[​IMG]

#15     Apr 10, 2006
  6. yeah but the same thing could be said about oil. Sure america doesnt have tobe dependant on the middleeast or other countries for oil, but are you willing to pay 200$ a barrel for oil. Or 10$ a gallan. No way. You would have people freaking out and crying foul. and no way will you have people paying 10$ a pound for vegatables. Or 10$ an apple. If this is going to happen you might as well close down the agricultural industry.

#16     Apr 10, 2006
  7. 10% more will not raise eyebrows...bring it on...and get them legal...Everybody is welcome...just do it legal...and do not disregard the law...

Use our schools, emergency rooms and social services...all are welcome...we just need to know who you are...

and Employers...be responsible and keep the values of our forefathers...America is a wonderful place and its up to this generation to learn our history and keep this place alive!

#17     Apr 10, 2006
  8. Even though your lack of puctuation makes it very difficult to read/understand.

Illegals in most circumstances ARE "fairly" compensated right now. I live in an area with many illegals, and most make quite a bit more than minimum wage. Even those who shovel manure at the dairy farms make more and are provided with a cheap/free place to live. Factor in the idea that they don't pay income tax, SS tax, or health insurance, and they make well above minimum wage.

Fair compensation by U.S. standards is anything greater than minimum wage. There are a huge number of people in this country that are legal citizens and only make minimum wage. Former illegals have no grounds to stage walkouts because 1) there are people that will work for minimum wage, and 2) it reduces their chances of a green card to cause trouble like that.

In any case, it goes back to what I said before. If the pay goes up, inflation rises and they really aren't getting more buying power. Extra costs are passed on to the consumer, and they are simply tricked into thinking that they are making more money. In the end a hotel room costs $5 more each night, a gallon of milk costs a few extra cents, and the fed funds rate increases to slow down inflation. Now everything is more expensive and they still make "minimum wage". Minimum wage jobs will always be rewarded with the lowest possible pay. Everyone else gets paid based on that minimum rate (indirectly).

Base pay increases ---> Goods/services cost more ---> Buying power decreases ---> Middle/Upper Class demand higher pay to compensate ---> Payscale remains unchanged in the end ---> Everyone is content with the same lifestyle they had before.

#18     Apr 10, 2006
  9. First off, I haven't insulted you for your opinion. And yours isn't any more correct than mine.

Second, I didn't say to get rid of them. I said that they are all welcome if they work legally and participate legally in society. I made it very clear that I am pro-globalization.

An economic system DOES correct itself. This is why it's referred to as a cycle.

Also, there are a huge number of us that are paying into SS and won't see more than a few cents on the dollar of what we contributed. That is a different beast all together. But a person isn't unduly picked on because they won't be collecting SS in the future. Neither will the rest of us.

I agree with ES. Come on in, but if you want to be here, then come here legally. Legalizing the illegals will not ruin the economy.

#19     Apr 10, 2006
  10. Here's my nickels worth.........

Illegals keep inflation down and they are generally hard working folks that don't commit serious crimes. That said, alot don't pay taxes, ship their money back home, which doesn't help our economy, and they show up at the ER need medical services that cost alot of money.

I believe if we kicked them out prices would go up and we as a nation would consume less, like most of the world. We would adjust though, just as folks adjusted and will adjust to high gas prices last summer/this summer. Life in America is not going to come to end.

A apple isn't going to cost $10 if we kick them out. This is BS plain and simple.

Speaking frankly, nobody, including me seemed to mind when they were digging ditches, picking vegetables, and washing dishes. Because most Americans won't do these jobs. Now I drive by new construction in Denver Metro and there is 1 white guy and and bunch of hispanics. Are they illegal? I don't know. But I believe they are. I hear Mexican Ranchera music and no English spoken. These Hispanic guys are now doing framing and electrical contracting. These are jobs that Americans whom didn't want to guy to college used to hold. Jobs that would eventually pay $20 plus a hour after apprenticeship. That pisses me off.

Lastly, even my college spanish teacher, whom was from Mexico, and legally immigrated, said it is so stupid that we encourage people to run across the border, pop out a kid, and they become a citizen. If my wife and I go to Mexico, while she is pregnant, and show up at the hospital, say in Acapulco, they aren't going to give us any care unless we have insurance and our kid isn't going to be a citizen automatically. Enough of my ranting and raving.

#20     Apr 10, 2006