Banned from a specific forum...? (Programming/Modulus)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Random.Capital, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

There were a couple of threads in which the person asking the question was actually a shill representing his company's product. I got pissed when I found out about it, so I deleted all of his posts and banned him. There may have been replies to his posts which ended up as casualties.

There were also some threads that the member rosy2 started where he was asking questions or making an observation, and then posting links to his company website that does software development. And he was purposely doing it in a shady way via URL shorteners. Obviously, Modulus didn't like that and neither did I so I deleted those threads (after multiple warnings to rosy2 were ignored).

And finally, there have been quite a few threads that were started by owners of "open source projects", but after checking them out I discovered that the project founders were directing people to their "other sites" where they were charging hundreds of dollars an hour for support, consulting, and customization services. Again, those threads were deleted and those members were banned because we aren't in the business of helping them promote themselves for free.

I'm sorry if there were threads in which you or others participated in that are no longer around, but they were threads that needed to go because they violated our member conduct rules.

#11     Mar 7, 2012
  2. Chief, replace it with a "Red Head" thread. No one reads that egghead nonsense anyway. What would you rather have, a handful of nerds complaining or a hoard of Perverts big enough to crash the servers?

Rennick Hefner out :cool:

#12     Mar 7, 2012
  3. Would the simplest solution not be to stop calling it the "Programming" forum - which it clearly isn't - and call it the "Modulus Support Board" or some other more accurate descriptive?

That would reset expectations for everyone, and lessen the chance of misunderstandings in the future.

Because right now, it looks like total bait and switch.

#13     Mar 7, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm not surprised.

#14     Mar 7, 2012
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

To be honest Lucrum I think I caused the trouble.

First the excuse. I didn't realize immedietely that it was a sponsored forum.

A guy posted looking for some C programming work. I could tell he was the real thing and so I responded and asked him if he had a website and disingenuously gave a link to my consulting site as an example. The OP indicates that he did not have a site and I started walking him through creating one.

The sponsor guy got snippy and I started to wind him up for fun comparing him to Alex etc. Random.capital started hammering the guy.

That's about it lol.

That forum is a joke. I'm world-ranked as a MATLAB author and usually post in the automated trading forum. Just thought I should fess up because it wasn't random.capital's fault. He only got involved because modulus was being such a prick.

#15     Mar 8, 2012
  6. What would it cost to become supreme ruler of say the trading forum for a day or week? :D

#16     Mar 8, 2012
  7. There is an easy solution to all this. Random Capital can agree with Baron to sponsor their own forum here on Elitetrader and pay the same fees which Modulus is paying.

Before being critical of Modulus, I think Random Capital should be contributing to the website monetarily versus getting a free ride as they do now. Then Random Capital can shill their theories all they want to the ET community without worry of negative attention from website administrators.

#17     Mar 8, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm not surprised at that either. :D

#18     Mar 8, 2012
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Technically nothing because we would need a one-year commitment :)

#19     Mar 8, 2012
  10. TRS

TRS

Understood.

So any forum that bears a sponsors name, as are most , is moderated by that sponsor......

#20     Mar 8, 2012