Banks have no standing to take away a persons home

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Feb 22, 2009.

1. I've read more than one article about this.
    Federal Bktcy and State Dist. judges are seriously denying "repo's" to Mtg holders who can't produce the original paperwork, and, as it turns out, many Mtg. Co's and Banks simply can't find the original documents.
    Sticky wicket, eh?

#11     Feb 23, 2009
  2. LeeD

LeeD

It is porbable that the security for the loan cannot be ressigned to an investor because the permission to reassign it was not in the original mortagage agreement. So, no additiona agreement between the investor and the bank will help.
    This may nott be easy because most mortgages are owned not by ultimate investors but by trusts where trustees have very limited remit to be proactive in getting teh best deal for the ultimate investor. Finding those with the ultimate interest in the performance of mortgages and authority to alter teh terms is even more difficult because many securities obtained form securitising mortgages are securitised again.

#12     Feb 23, 2009
  3. LeeD

LeeD

This is not good enough a reason. Banks still have all the rights associated with a non-securitised loan such as putting claim on any homeowner's cash and sending bailiffs.

#13     Feb 23, 2009
  4. How is this possible in a non-recourse state. People are mailing their keys in and abandoning their houses by the thousands in CA. I have not heard that even one of them has had a claim put on their other assets.

#14     Feb 23, 2009
  5. Bingo!
    If ALL Mtg's were Full Recourse loans, very few would default.

#15     Feb 23, 2009
  6. Only in America.

First, it's not "someone's home" until they pay for it. So deadbeat occupier does not equal homeowner.

Second, only in America would an army of lawyers rush to help deadbeats and freeloaders.

I can hear the commercials now "You deserve to keep your home even if you haven't been paying the mortgage... "

This is how it should be done:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2313077&#post2313077

#16     Feb 23, 2009
  7. lundy

lundy

this is not new, although it is getting more attention now. I have an attorney friend who has been doing this in Hawaii since before 2000.

#17     Feb 23, 2009
  8. Second, only in America would an army of lawyers rush to help deadbeats and freeloaders.

-------------------------------

Tut tut..

We are a nation of laws, if the law benefits the freeloader and deadbeat, they haven't broken the law. Congress writes sloppy laws.

#18     Feb 23, 2009
  9. jem

jem

Some of California's loans are non recourse and some are not. We have a pretty complex web of anti deficiency protections in CA.

The main laws are CCP 580b and CCP 726.

With respect to purchase money loans on CCP 580b - the property goes back to the lender as payment in full after a foreclosure. Thats the deal the lender made with the borrowers per the statute. Its why it is criminal the banks were giving out 100% or more ltv with 2-5% kicks to the brokers.

You are not a deadbeat if you are following the law. The banks are the deadbeats. The took our billions in bonuses and are leaving the gov't with trillions in problems.

#19     Feb 23, 2009
  10. dve250

dve250

A cc company once filed suit against me for not paying the the bill. I responded by saying I didn't recall ever opening an account with them, and I requested they produce the original agreement plus a record of all the charges including receipts for the purchases with my signature as authorization, or proof the item was delivered to my address. They had no records at all and agreed to dismiss the case. If they wouldn't have sued I would have paid them but for doing that I stuck it to them.

#20     Feb 23, 2009