Banking On The Conference Board

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Ok guys WE ARE UP ONE DOLLAR ALREADY ON DGIT WHO BOUGHT WITH ME FRIDAY!!!!

Huge upgrade BWS
    BWS Financial initiates DGIT with a Strong Buy and price target of $30 saying the Federally mandated transition to digital transmission has created a true catalyst for earnings growth at DGIT. The firm says the has become the single source for agencies, advertisers, and media outlets in transferring commercials, syndicated programs, and video news releases to the appropriate media outlet. They say DGIT is not susceptible to an economic downturn to suggest a decline in advertisement spending would lead to a slowdown at DGIT. There would need to be a total breakdown of the system for that to happen. Firm says advertisers need DGIT, and DGIT is not in the business of selling spots.

HOW about dem' apples!
    Speaking of Apples... Apple looks very good here if you got enough bucks....

Ok Obama on talking gloom highlighting MSFT & HD cutting of workforce... smart, avoid the Leading Indicators... ~ stoney

FFIV- the upper limit of the bearish price channel at $23.05. On a bullish breakout above the price channel the following resistance levels would become upside objectives: $23.50, $23.99, $24.38, $24.78, $25.25, $25.63, $26.06, $26.54, $27.13, $27.75.

#11     Jan 26, 2009

2. Well Here we are at 848 as i type !!! How much you guys love me long time!!! lets not forget the sickening slide we were in when all these predictions I spouted forward!!! It would be nice oh so very nice to EXPLODE FROM HERE There is an unstable aura of hope today that might just start a tend...

The lingering melencholy is everyone now saying ok we could rally but thats wave blah blah before the worst decline you ever saw... so even in a mild upswing, the bears like to yank your hope blanket away... that's depressing. Buying Gigamedia I think..... Stay tuned... many of these tech stocks that warned but not as bad as analysts had predicted are looking really good but when you read there earnings reports over again it's tough to get excited about their stories when conditions were deteriorating so... stks like

FFIV & CYMI have the news out are are now bobbing to the surface... considering them....~ stoney

#12     Jan 26, 2009
  3. What could trigger a Dow Theory Primary Trend Buy signal? I'm not sure but for a short multi week rally that will turn jan ok and therefore folks perception of the whole year, I'm looking at little nuggets of hope.

The percent above 30 day MA indicator remains at an extreme oversold level.

Monthly Full Stochastics are at levels where multi-month rallies start. The Dow Industrials volatile back and forth movements over the past two weeks could be forming a Bullish Descending Wedge.

There was a Hammer Candlestick pattern formed on Friday.... ~si

#13     Jan 26, 2009
  4. Lets take another look-

FFIV 23.99 0.74 3.18% 771,706

GIGM 6.60 0.19 2.96% 86,285

CYMI 21.75 1.00 4.82% 205,714

RHT 10:50AM ET 14.64 0.36 2.52% 369,395

There are always different ways to play these days. usually I like to hang out until 3:00 when bears try to make their move and when thwarted that's a nice entry time. With todays very formable trigger resistance at 848... I'm looking more towards lunch.

Cymer has pulled in front but the volume is considerably less than FFIV, my instinct is FFIV is the one to trade for a few days.... Still that round $1 gain for CYMI is catching my eye... GIGM is a curiosity - I'm still on the fence. On a technical set up it looks ready to break out but it's so darn cheap now I'm uncomfortable, it's up 16 cents for goodness sakes...
    %'s can be deceiving.~ stoney

#14     Jan 26, 2009
  5. Thanks Surf. I didn't realize there was another exciting Conference Board release tomorrow. This thread stays relevant for one more day!

That chart is interesting in several ways. I'm not a currency guy so it's hard for me... my inclination is to call for a rapid move down in the dollar to freak us all out. I don't know about you but when the currency tanks I don't take it well, it's worse than earnings- it's a statement on your whole way of life. All this spending, you would think it would weaken the dollar now and what would that do to the gold rally?? It's all very interesting especially so because one look at that chart tells you the path of least resistance from a panic causing point of view-- would be to keep the dollar rising... it's not much further before all hell would break through when that double bottom is penetrated. For a normally boring ass end of the bizz, exciting times await. Wonder what you think of TBT? ~stoney

#16     Jan 26, 2009
  6. I have no idea who Eric Oberg is and i don't use stockpicker so take this for what it may or may not be worth-

Eric Oberg is back again. We have received a few questions about the ProShares UltraShort 20+ Year Treasury(TBT Quote - Cramer on TBT - Stock Picks) ETF, so rather than answer each individually, here is a quick answer to the question below.
    Does the TBT -- Treasury UltraShort -- have the same compounding issues that other UltraShort ETFs have?

Oberg: OK, I'm glad this came up again. My thinking has really started to evolve around the concept of being short Treasuries. (I have been asked by probably half a dozen people over the last week and a half, through the Web site and in person, about the concept of shorting Treasuries.)

As for the technical issues, the short answer is yes -- as a double short, it is subject to the same issues. However, it is really the volatility that kills these things, and it appears that the less volatile sectors do not suffer from the dramatic underperformance as the highly volatile sectors (and I believe that the narrower the sector, the more they influence the underliers, and thus they create their own volatility). But the Treasury market is probably the deepest we have, so activity in any Treasury ETF shouldn't really wag the dog.

For full disclosure, I really only looked in depth at performance of ProShares UltraShort Financials(SKF Quote - Cramer on SKF - Stock Picks), ProShares UltraShort Real Estate(SRS Quote - Cramer on SRS - Stock Picks) and ProShares UltraShort FTSE/Xinhua China 25(FXP Quote - Cramer on FXP - Stock Picks), just because those sectors seemed to be the most talked about, and those also moved around the most.

Now, with that said, I have been thinking about the concept of shorting Treasuries, just in general.

To read more, visit Stockpickr.com.

#17     Jan 26, 2009
  7. By the way this tells me the whole idea is over hyped and move on... a guy was on tv and made such a case saying that if we just back to levels of a few months ago the return would be huge but I'm seeing too much about the idea as these leveraged etf's are going to be the death of the market- hate to fall in there... also this based on 20 plus year long bonds and isn't all the money parked in safety in shorter bonds? Won't the 5 and ten year be the one's to really take it on the chin? How to 3X that! ~ stoney

#18     Jan 26, 2009
  8. THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE! :)

Wow, it's great to know that this work done for free is really appreciated and more importantly that so many of you did better than me using it! Great job for listening! My inbox is overwhelmed with love this morning... but why did you wait? Was this not all clear on the initial post?

We called for 3 triggers-- Geithner, Conference Board, and bad bank... the last one being the real ignition starter... All this while on TV no one could find a catalyst for upwards movement... Amazing.

Today we will most likely have that day I boldly predicted for Monday an up 500 sort of day... this should be a cage rattler today. I need to freshen up on my market resistance points.

Since you all appear nicely lodged in the banks and bank index funds for the run of the last few days let's look for other type
    Buys today- look for Gigamedia... GIGM, it's been trending nicely and could be a big % winner from here. TSYS- another strong chart, low price worth a look... ENER- I like the past few days for my solar dream date, we could talk about this stock more later but if you ask me to be able to make solar panels so thin they can be WRAPPED AROUND THE CORNER OF A BUILDING! is pretty cool. MFLX- has been strong since their earnings and . AMSC- Been thinking about these guys again they send electricity super fast over cooled lines... they signed an Long island deal which caught my attention. ALSO WAVE BOUY SUPERSTAR STOCK OPTT! Yes the one we gave you at $4.90 and took to $9.00 or somewhere up there!!! It's got as deal cooking with a big company for a big rollout the other day and is back around $7... still love this name... KALU, STLD, take your pick among those types of names... WOW, for a day everything looks good again! End of day important news for SQNM, has not done for me what I had hoped so far but certainly all of you have a very nice entry point if you have the guts. should be up huge tomorrow.

9:15 Got To Go
    Once Again Thanks For The Shout Outs!
    Put this one in the book Byron!
    ~stoney

#19     Jan 28, 2009
  9. erikrkolodny

erikrkolodny ET Sponsor

A little early on the timing of the 1/22 good bank vs bad bank post ,but terrific work/analysis...very admirable. I told you yetserday I hoped you were right and tended to agree with you for the most part, but i did not think it'd necessarily come this soon (then again, it is not my speciality analysis-wise). Again, terrific job.

#20     Jan 28, 2009