Bank withdrawals & Cash hoarding

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SWhiting, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Correct.....boxes IN the bank are a complete JOKE!!!

BTW, Bob Chapman has reported yesterday that the Fed advised B of A to be ready for a one week suspension of banking in the US! :eek: Not sure how many other banks have received this same Fed transmittal.

You need precious metal coins, some cash, LOTS of storable food, water, fuel, and self defense capabilities, to weather out any extended banking closure.

#11     Oct 7, 2008
  2. Banks and financial institutions have NO choice. It is your money and they have to GIVE it to you.

======================

When you deposit it, it is not your money anymore. You have a legal claim for the money.

#12     Oct 7, 2008
  3. There is one MAJOR exception....when they don't HAVE ANY LEFT!!! :D

#13     Oct 7, 2008
  4. hmm... maybe she should hoard 30,000 gallons of gas. Get two or three of those cheap inflatable pools from walmart... Fill'er up.

By unperishable food products to weigh down the gas pool cover... 100,000 cans of tuna... sardines? SPAM?

#14     Oct 7, 2008
  5. About the only thing I use currency for is tipping.

For gasoline, groceries, retail purchases, and restaurants, I use the convenience of plastic.

One poster mentioned the suspension of banking for a week.

I am not sure what the effects would be if banking were suspended.

The second credit cards CANNOT be scanned, America STOPS.

It would truly be the Day the Earth Stood Still, without Michael Rennie of course.

#15     Oct 7, 2008
  6. S2007S

S2007S

I have no clue why people are so scared about leaving there money in the bank, why people are worried is ticking me off, if you were not able to get your money from the bank at that point I would say just give up on everything, dont bother going to work dont bother going to school, dont even bother paying your electric bill or mortgage, forget about the lease payment you owe on your bmw or lexus and just forget about everything and anything because there would be no economy at that point. I think it would be worse than a great depression.

enough already.

#16     Oct 7, 2008
  7. mokwit

mokwit

Bernanke may have to turn on the real printing presses to an unprecedented degree.

In Thailand in the crisis the newspapers carried propaganda pictures of freshly delivered pallets of money behind the counter of banks that were later closed. People who had their money in banks either became Government bank depositors or had their accounts transferred while people who had their money in non bank financials had to wait 5 years to get their money back - quite a problem if you were a business or someone who lived on interest.

#17     Oct 7, 2008
  8. vv111y

vv111y

I also thought that currency would be worthless, but I'm not convinced now. Consider the case of a temporary freeze, where the general public is shell shocked that electronic banking no longer works. People will fall back to something familiar. Everyone has at least been brought up with using cash. I think it would take some time for the average person to make that mental jump - cash is trash. Using gold or silver coins seems more unrealistic for transactions.

Now, for storing fuel, what do you use? That's the only one I can't figure out. Lawnmower gas can... no.

yeah it's very unlikely.

#18     Oct 7, 2008
  9. WRONG....the legal domestic police state apparatus will be more than happy to start siezing your possesions. NO PAY NO PLAY! :eek:

#19     Oct 7, 2008
  10. AAA30

AAA30

You better run to your bomb shelter. See you in 20 years. Oh and don't forget your meds.

#20     Oct 7, 2008