Bank of Mom and Dad Closed! What about 50K a year tuition?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ah, maybe you're right.

Yeah, if you ever want to figure out how much someone is making, a good statistical way to calculate it is to take their home price and divide it by the local median price to income ratio -at the time- they purchased it, which you can generally figure out from Zillow.com.

In Chicago, it's been historically 3, but the housing bubble pushed it to 4. It's drifting back down to 3.

There's always outliers and people who act weird, but the numbers give you good ballpark info. As a guy who fancies selling used cars, I use the rough estimate from this to guess expenditures and the rough amount of payment that a person can float, then shoot for 15% more. There's a sort of confidence interval on what people at a given income have in terms of tastes and demands, and you can generally push the limit to the upside.

#11     Apr 6, 2010
  2. the1

the1

It's definitely both. They do have a superior program but the connections you make along the way have more to do with your success than the additional knowledge you gain.

#12     Apr 6, 2010
  3. My take home pay is in the low 50k range. I live off about 35k per year supporting 4 of us. We live in a small brand new house, but drive a 10 year old car and we dont really go without anything except we dont usually eat out at restaurants, or buy expensive clothes. The guy was living high on the hog. He could've lived a normal middle class life for 10 years living off 50k per year and saved 300k per year there by having $3 million at the end of 10 years(assuming he made 0% interest but really he would've had more than 3 million). From there if he just got a 5% return from dividends on investments he would have $150k income for the rest of his life. His lifestyle would go up 200% and he wouldnt have to work or worry about his daughters for the rest of his life, not to mention like most people who retire and have trouble living on 80% of their income, he would have no trouble living on 200% of what he was used to.

I really do not understand how some people can be smart enough to make 500k per year but too stupid to think about retirement or saving for the future.

#13     Apr 6, 2010
  4. 2 years at Community College $6,000

2 years at good state school in top major (Accounting, Nursing, Engineering, etc._ $22,000

TOTAL: less than $30,000

And with the Hope Tuition Credit, $2500x4, you get $10,000 back

throw in scholarships or other things, and you could be looking at $13-$18,000 total

Buy all texts on Amazon or Alibris used and immediately resell after semester open, your cost is basically the cost of books shipped to you...

Live at home with Mom & Dad - I did first 2 years. They put nothing towards we kids' tuition.

College is only expensive when you refuse to plan.

#14     Apr 6, 2010
  5. +1

#15     Apr 6, 2010
  6. -if you have a parent work at the school/college/university sometimes they offer discount or free tuition

-if you do not want to live at home, become an RA (free rent and meals kicked back)

-get a job that offers tuition reimbursement

-I had a full time job while in college (not working at SBUX either, but working a high paying tough sales job at a big corporation) non to less, get a job even if it is working for peanuts while in school and pay as you go

#16     Apr 7, 2010
  7. [​IMG]

How is college outpacing medical costs?

#17     Apr 7, 2010
  8. clacy

clacy

Good question. At least with medical costs we get a longer life span, with a higher quality of life, as technology advances.

I don't think our students today are getting a better education than they were 20 years ago, and many would argue it's worse.

#18     Apr 7, 2010
  9. spinn

spinn

Best post ever on ET. I live in a wealthy part of Washington DC and the people who have the most money dont even seem to work. i am not talking retired, I am talking mid 30s with a job as a secretary or manager living in a 750k house...paid for with money from parents. And of course thousands of women who have never worked in their lives, driving new mercedes living in $2 million houses. Annoying.

#19     Apr 7, 2010
  10. ashatet

ashatet

I can see why housing got expensive. Too many overpaid lawyers and benefits of the workers.

I can see why medical costs are out of hand. Overpaid doctors and too many lawyers.

What I can not figure out how it is that the college has gotten so expensive. College professors are for most part making 100K or so.

#20     Apr 7, 2010