Bank Holiday this month?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Aug 14, 2009.

1. For arguments sake, let's say it's true - and I'm not saying it is.

The only reason I could come up with is they need the time to adopt the new FASB mtm rules and anticipate a really big bank (or two) blow-up - one that not even the FDIC could handle in time. So...

Bank Holiday, shut down trading and have a "managed" bank implosion. They immediately nationalize it and chop it up.

A managed soft landing, then they re-open markets and banks. Why do they need the holiday? to buy time and make sure people will be calmer after the wind-down. If they don't and the markets and banks are open - it would be a panic like we experienced w/ the money markets in the Fall '08.

(I'm taking the tinfoil hat off now)

#11     Aug 16, 2009
  2. They can't shut all markets down. Forex, Commodities (ICE), international markets, the USD....all of these are at risk in such a move.

#12     Aug 16, 2009
  3. And your point is??

Oh, I got it. You don't think it CAN happen. LOL

#13     Aug 16, 2009
  4. No, that's not my point. If I didn't think it could happen, I'd never have posted in the thread. Try not to be a dick.

My point was that I'm not sure they're prepared for the international fallout that will occur from such a move.

#14     Aug 16, 2009
  5. Please don't bring rational arguments into this discussion, this thread is marked for loony conspiracy theories only.

#15     Aug 16, 2009
  6. ajacobson

ajacobson

Snopes has had this as a false story almost every month since late 2008

#16     Aug 16, 2009
  7. LOL...reminds me of an old boss: "What does fact have to do with anything?"

#17     Aug 16, 2009
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Might there be anybody willing to wager on this? I'm thinking this is a pile of BS.

#18     Aug 16, 2009
  9. zdreg

zdreg

I am willing to wager that there will be a bank holiday before the next US presidential election. worldwide the financial system is teetering particularly in the US and Europe.

#19     Aug 17, 2009
  10. jprad

jprad

That's exactly what weekends are for...

And, that's exactly what they did when Bear Sterns failed, they took care of it over a weekend.

The Fall of '08 happened because they let Lehman Brothers fail.

#20     Aug 17, 2009