Bank deposit question

Discussion in 'Economics' started by kandlekid, Oct 25, 2011.

1. I lend a bit on a system in the UK that's similar to the Prosper thing, although it's tranched and spread across a bunch of creditors. I want to help take as much of this biz away from the banks as I can.
    Well, firstly, banks don't invest your deposits in safest instruments. Secondly, the money a bank lends doesn't come from the Fed discount window.

#11     Oct 25, 2011
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

Finally for once we agree on something.

In addition to the original questions the price of lending has increased related to the return as a result of the failure of conglomerated debt products, which make the risk lower (in theory) and the interest rate reflected that. Now they have failed at least to a degree the risk dispersion they offered (in theory) is no longer there and the price of lending has become higher for the borrower.

Also the way they worked enabled the banks to pass on the risk because the debts they took on were sold to other institutions in credit and default derivatives. This meant that the banks themselves were less exposed to the risk the lenders posed. So interest rates were for a long time artificially low for the borrower and the spread between lending and borrowing prices were reduced.

The market has changed and the spread has increased.

#12     Oct 25, 2011
  3. I am not sure what we agree on and how we managed to arrive at this agreement.

As to the rest of what you say, all I can say is "D'OH!". That's leverage accumulation followed by credit crunch/deleveraging for ya, innit? Therefore, I don't really quite see the point.

#13     Oct 25, 2011
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

The OP asked why interest rate spreads were so high. This is the reason, why it has increased.

So you agree with me on the last part then?

#14     Oct 25, 2011
  5. Which last part? That we have had a period of leverage accumulation followed by a deleveraging? When have I ever disagreed with such a blindingly obvious assertion?

#15     Oct 25, 2011
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

The OP asked why the spread had increased. This is the reason is it not?

#16     Oct 25, 2011
  7. No kidding (mark me surprised that this exists in retail/non-securitized space)... it's tranched... that's quite different from the Prosper type of stuff since tranching actually does help with risk pooling (what do they do with the equity piece?). What's it called?

#17     Oct 25, 2011
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

Have you ever heard of ZOPA?

#18     Oct 25, 2011
  9. Bob111

Bob111

yes. it's mean ass in russian :D
    pretty accurate name for this business :D

sorry..can't resist :p

#19     Oct 25, 2011
  10. morganist

morganist Guest

I meant Zone Of Possible Agreement. It is a type of Peer to Peer lending.

#20     Oct 25, 2011