Bangkok Traders Get Together

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by noisebasement, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Traders in bangkok, how about meeting this THURSDAY July 26th? How about somewhere in Sukumvit? Tonglor, Phrongpom, or Asok?

Would be very nice to get some traders together.. :)

#11     Jul 22, 2007
  2. Hi, thinking of moving to Thailand in July when my lease in South Beach is up...love warm weather, and really don't feel like moving back to Manhattan. Does anyone know if there are any prop shops out there? US equities that is....

how is it living out there....i really want to be able to explore asia just concerned about the internet as the majority of my trades are really quick off the open

any help is greatly appreciated!!

#12     Dec 5, 2007
  3. HI Noisebasement,

bit late, but I sent you a pm, am still here in bkk, never realised there were other guys doing same thing!

anyway, get in touch mate...

Seymour

#13     May 27, 2008
  4. Pita

Pita

Hi there,

I might join in if a meeting gets set up. Live in Phuket but will be in Bkk for a few days in June. I hope you guys can still afford your Singha beers:p

Chok dee
    P.

#14     May 28, 2008
  5. Is inflation that bad there?

Just curious as I spend a fair amt of time there myself, but don't live there.

#15     May 28, 2008
  6. Pita

Pita

Hmm, yeah I would say locals for instance get hit very hard (10 -40% I would say) speaking for Phuket and not much an idea about Bkk. Still cheap though.
    I was rather refering to trading results of the thread participants as this seemed to get dried out.

P.

#16     May 28, 2008
  7. bespoke

bespoke

What kind of ping rate do you guys get there when pinging a US based server?

I lived there for about a couple of years and I'd love to return and live for a couple more. Unfortunately I'm mainly a scalper. Most of my trading is greyboxed and I would colocate a server here, but I would need to monitor and trade via a remote viewer from there.

When I played online poker there I would get huge delays and my hands would get folded a lot of the time. I wonder if it has gotten any better (that was a little over 1 year ago).

Also, any ideas on how I can get a visa without a work permit? I had a work permit before, but I definitely don't want to work again. I hear there are volunteer visas now. Or I suppose I could get a student visa. Can I get a retirement visa at 26? You only need to have 800,000 baht in your bank account right? Or I was thinking of opening up some phony import/export business.

#17     Jun 1, 2008
  8. Pita

Pita

Cannot comment on the ping rate but for the way and markets I trade (position and intraday) its good enough, well mostly hehehe.

Regarding retirement visa there is an age restriction that you have to be I think 50 at least, hold 800k baht in a thai bank account and prove 40 or 50k baht incoming every month. I doubt in your age you might get one at all.
    US citizens however have some easier/better regulations for visa and business ventures I read somewhere. If you have detailed questions go to www.thaivisa.com and participate in the board there where you will probably get all of them answered.
    I live there on tourist visa as the last thing one should want is dealing with the authorities on a regular basis.

#18     Jun 1, 2008
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

What duration is that, 90 days? How do you refresh it, just take a visit back to U.S. or HK? How long do you have to be out of Thailand in between tourist visas? Thanks.

#19     Jun 1, 2008
  10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

One more question, is there any limit on getting tourist visas? Can you just repeat over and over? Thanks.

I spent some time in Tokyo and always thought I could make a living and have alot of fun there, maybe try to get on with Bloomberg. Saw quite a few gaijins with aston martins downtown. Must be a duty-free thing lol.

Thailand does sound good though. Anybody try living up in chang mai? Probably not a very good connection up there lol.

#20     Jun 1, 2008