Bandwidth, how much is enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Szeven, Oct 18, 2006.

1. I tried the traffic grapher but couldnt figure it out. I have an unmanged switch into a basic 4 port router (Dlink DI-604). The problem is I cant find where to enable SNMP. Any suggestions?

#11     Oct 18, 2006
  2. I wouldnt be so concerned about bandwidth, as much as reliability.

I previously had a cable modem which was indeed very fast at times, however, there were a few times each week where it simply crashed. The internet would stop working. I had technicians from the cable company over multiple times and I tried many different configurations with boosters. It never failed to crash at the worst times. I got in the habit of rebooting the cable modem. The connection speed was 30 mpbs. Very very fast.

I switched over to DSL which is 5 times slower at 3 mpbs. I have not had one problem yet with the configuration. Very reliable.

Fios should come out soon and I should switch to a 15 mpbs connection in the future.

So reliability is the key factor.

#12     Oct 18, 2006
  3. Do you have access to the manual for your router? I Googled one here.

Do you have access to the web-based administration application as per the manual?

If so, once you have logged in:

- click on the Advanced tab at the top, and then select SNMP from the options on the left.

- Make sure the Enable SNMP option is checked.

- Leave the Get and Set Community with the default entries.

- Click on Apply.

This should enable SNMP on your router.

Now, when running the PRTG Traffic Grapher:

- Click in the middle of the screen where it says "Click here to add your first sensor"

- Use all of the default choices offered by the Wizard.

- Enter the IP address of your router. It will be the same IP address you use to get to the web-based administration application.

- It will scan the router.

Click, click, click.

Pretty graphs.

Good luck.

MoMoney.

#13     Oct 18, 2006
  4. That router trick is pretty helpful, thanks.

I'll take a slightly slower highly reliable connection over a higher speed slightly reliable connection any day.

#14     Oct 19, 2006