bandwidth fiber vs cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jem, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jem

jem

First I would like to say I am blown away by the prices.

I currently have a cable connection from brighthouse.

15 mps - by 2 mps

tests at 11.5 by 2 mps

for 45 a month.

My techie neighbor says I have to switch to verizon fiber optic.

about the same price for same speed.

Please consider that verizon tells me they are the backbone for this area of FL.

I am starting to daytrade again.

when I owed an office at one point I was paying 3000 for a partial t-1 now I have better than t-2.

2. Banjo

Banjo

Yes , it's incredible, I'd love fios, but not in my area yet. These speeds will spawn long dreamed of distribution chanels for content that will be disruptive to the present hiarchy.

3. The question is what is more reliable. I have both cable and Verizon DSL. The DSL is faster(not FIOS), but is far less reliable than my cable line. Both offer plenty of bandwidth for trading.

4. Is fios even feasible in urban areas like Manhattan?

5. Bob111

Bob111

From my experience-cable sucks. disconnections, lost packets-all kind of things. And tech guys from Cable Company unable to fix it for years. finally, year ago verizon introduced fios. 15/2 cost me 45, i paid 45$ for 6/1 from comcast cable.15 mbps for cable is probably is max,of what you can get from it, while fiber can handle way more than that, if necessary. There is plans for 30 mbps + verizon working on fios tv.
    And as far as i know they handle connections differently. with fios-you have dedicated line directly between you and provider. With cable-you shared your connection with other users in your area. if they all jump on internet at same time-you speed will drop. No such issue with fiber.
    here is good resource, if you want dig deeper-
    http://www.dslreports.com/

bottom line-go with fiber,it nevest technology, much more reliable than cable.

6. Mvic

Mvic

I have cable and when I do a speed check on the cnet site it says I am getting 2637.4 Kbps. What are people with DSL getting?

Just tested it again at internetfrog.com and it gave me these results.

Download: 6,359,920 bps
    Upload: 429,008 bps
    QOS: 78%
    RTT: 56 ms
    MaxPause: 50 ms

so not sure what is what. All I know is that I have been using cable for a year, run esignal, trade station, and TWS and 3 PCs on a wireless network and have never had a single problem. Before cable I had DSL and I had several instances where the connection would go down or speed would obviously be lacking. Verizon Fios just became an option for me in my area so I wonder if it is worth switching?

What has been a real disappointment is the verizon wireless broadband, really more like dial up speeds compared to the cable connection and it still costs $70 a month.

7. Bob111

Bob111

try this, unstead of cnet-
    http://web100.rit.edu:7123/

here is my numbers for verizon fios(with 5 heavy loaded pc's, downloading\recieving data)-

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3e
    click START to begin
    Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
    running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.42Mb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 13.73Mb/s
    The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 10 Mbps Ethernet subnet

8. Mvic

Mvic

Impressive thanks, my numbers for cable were about 30% of yours. Time to add fios to the mix.