Balance between trading and career

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, Dec 6, 2013.

1. My day job career is going no where , part of the reason can be blamed on trading
    There's once when I quit to trade full time, for one and half year, but causes me to over trade so went back to work force again, and curiously my trading improves, but over in my day job, my peers went on higher position, got promoted, and I'm still at lower level job

I thought I can make full time trading my career but it can only be part time
    I thought I never have to go back work force again but have to else will get into over trading problem
    So my trading problem resolved but I'm still have to work and stuck in low level position in corporate world. Morale suffers but my trading brings more cash than my day job which I cannot get rid of it else my trading suffers, it is a cycle...

2. Handle123

Handle123

I have had generally night jobs on/off in past 35 years, I have never considered trading as work, more like a game I play against myself. For me, work balances trading and makes life stresses even. Once I learned to accept what the market will give me, it is ok not to be in the market when my methods don't give good signals and there will be days where market is trending hard and I just sit. Trading really is a mind game of pure discipline, either one learns to control oneself whether in corporate world or at home trading.

Could it be you don't like corporate world cause you lack balance in your life? Over trading certainly shows lack of what? My early years I had to learn much about myself before I could get a handle on controlling who I was and that had much to do with curbing trades that were not there. I found that thru the years taking trades that were not signals, I lost 95% of the time.

Good luck and work hard.

3. Eyez

Eyez

Couldn't have said it better. I think this is a common struggle in the process of becoming a better trader. The need (or desire? but probably out boredom) to be IN a trade and/or simply being impatient for the next signal to arrive.

Coupled with becoming too lose and becoming less systematic when a trade starts going against you and going into "but it has to do this" instead of just immediately acknowledging mistake and taking the loss and moving on... countless times i knew it was a mistake, could of gotten out profitable when realized, but held and ended negative. not sure about the ET messiahs... but I know I've been there... but the sooner you realize that's the problem the better.

4. Pigsky

Pigsky

If trading brings in more cash than job, then who cares? Who cares if you are in low-level position if trading makes so much..... unless you have doubt about trading doing so in the future???

Be careful not to leave job, it provides stability in life.... even if trading well that can change in a hearbeat, remember you say you lost a lot in futures last month........ http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279640