Bailing out US auto

Discussion in 'Economics' started by killthesunshine, Nov 11, 2008.

1. I read on Bloomberg that closure of GM would cost 2.5M jobs in the first year.

Can someone explain this to me please.

Obviously there needs to be a run-on of spare parts followed by a phased withdrawal over a number of years, but I really cannot see the reality of a figure like 2.5M

regards
    f9

#21     Nov 11, 2008
  2. automobiles are one of if not the most important commodity on the palnet. now way can we allow any other country or circumstance to usurp our position in this! right or wrong, no way.

let's not cut off our noses despite our faces.

we must save them and we must fix them!

#22     Nov 12, 2008
  3. Brilliantly failed logic.

Especially since GM spends $5 BILLION per year in health care expenses and generates $50-$60 BILLION in Federal Tax Revenues per year.

#23     Nov 12, 2008
  4. poyayan

poyayan

Generate tax revenue? What are you smoking?

GM has been losing money forever. Please back up your $50b tax revenue argument.

#24     Nov 12, 2008
  5. You must think that GM works in a total vacuum . . . Look up the word vendor and apply it to all of the companies that supply GM and Ford.

#25     Nov 12, 2008
  6. Ever tried eating, drinking or breathing one.

regards
    f9

#26     Nov 12, 2008
  7. do you own a car? i'll bet you do! why?

free movement about the planet might be significant advantage?

call me crazy!!
    it's your call DUH :D

maybe you should walk of those pounds :D

#27     Nov 12, 2008
  8. I think fearless was not referring to the wants of life but the necessities of life, anywhere. The bare necessities. Sure, to maintain a life as we are blessed with and work to build here in the USA, a car is almost a necessity. But commodities are built around life's basic foods, and I think that's where he was going with that. Everyone on earth has to eat. Less than 10% of the world drives a car.

#28     Nov 12, 2008

9. Those that prosper survive.

Free movement about the planet is not a sig survival advantage that the US might want to hold on to??

When we start flying around in 'GM'saucers' you don't want or see the real need for one.

well, i guess that might be true if you're still hunting the hills behind your house :D

#29     Nov 12, 2008
  10. Stay with German Trader since he has no problem in following the logic.

regards
    f9

#30     Nov 12, 2008