Bahrain is next.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sameeh55, Feb 17, 2011.

1. The king is about to fall. Rumour has it, Saudi Special forces entered the island to aid the king.

I wonder how the US will react giving the fact that there is a huge American base in there.

2. Their per capita GDP is $40,400 so it can't be based on economy. Seriously what do they want? More capitalism? Perhaps more communism? More religious freedoms? Or is it sunni vs shia thing again, that's what I hear on BBC anyway.

3. Nestled between Saudi Arabia and Qatar, Bahrain is home to 1.2 million people. It's also home to the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet -- a vital instrument for the Pentagon in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Fighter jets from carriers in the fleet provide close air support for American troops in Afghanistan.

"It's our most important strategic asset in the Persian Gulf," said Michael Rubin, a former Bahrain resident and Middle East expert at the American Enterprise Institute.

Bahrain was actually a Persian province through the 16th century. Iran claimed the territory when the British left, but the Bahrainis opted for independence.

"Bahrain is Iran's Kuwait," Rubin said, referencing former Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein's insistence that Kuwait was rightfully an Iraqi province.

If Bahrain's government falls, "there is no question -- no ifs, ands or buts -- Bahrain would become an Iranian satellite, and the Fifth Fleet would be sent packing," Rubin predicted.

:eek:

4. 70% Shiaa controlled by 30% Sunnies.

5. So it's pure sectarian animosity. Why am I not surprised? Thanks for the honest answer though.

6. I think you are largely correct, although I wouldn't underestimate Iranian meddling. A country whose populace makes decisions on that basis though is clearly not ready for democracy.

Obama is walking a tight wire here. If he pulls the rug out from under the emir like he did mubarak, we could find ourselves without a port for the US fleet. Personally, that wouldn't upset me too much, since I don't know why it's our job to safeguard europe's oil supply.

It's pretty clear that we get along with these countries better from a distance.

7. I just watched a petrifying coverage coming from Bahrain. According to an anonymous doctor who called Al Jazeera in a total state of panic, he was begging for medical aid and blood. He said, bodies are filling the corridors of the hospital and many more laying in the street with no way of retrieving them.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

8. I read that the gulf dictatorships met yesterday in Bahrain, and came out in support of Bahrain's action on democracy protesters. Probably they are scared that a success in Bahrain would mean a spread to the other dictatorships.

Is the shooting done by Bahrainis or mercenaries/security thugs from the other dictatorships?

10 deaths is a lot for a country with only 600K citizens. It is the equivalent of say 1500 for a population like Egypt. Egypt lost 300 in 15 days, while Bahrain is losing as much in about 2 days. A ratio of 35.

Where the UN and the tribunals in the Hague to try the dictators of Bahrain?

9. i think it is hard for them, the army is crushing the protestors, it is unlike egypt.

If saudi sent their forces in, then mebbe iran can send some in as well, balance it out a little bit

10. If it is not to the 5th fleet, Iranian influence would have already been there.

Saudis may make a mistake if they get involved, because their shias may uprise if they see involvement in Bahrain.

If trouble spreads to Saudis, the markets would likely respond.

#10     Feb 18, 2011