Bad Apple

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by callmeput, Feb 15, 2006.

1. I shorted 2K @ 70.7 today. Looking for this to settle in the low 60s in the next few weeks. This is just options expirations games today that caused the runup.

Other reasons:
    1) IPOD/Itunes competition (AMZN gettin in the game, etc)

2) INTEL IMac is overhyped

3) CRAAPL was LAST YEAR'S story, time to move onto something else.

ALSO SHORT BRCM

#11     Feb 16, 2006
  2. N C S aapl

#12     Feb 16, 2006

3. there are other thing in the pipeline for aapl - shorting is risky as hell with this thing....

#13     Feb 16, 2006
  4. he also forgot aapl just released new imac powerbooks...if they sell, (well, they already flyin' off the shelves) he'll be in soooo much trouble.

:p

#14     Feb 16, 2006
  5. http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20060216/tc_macworld/oompa20060216

Peter Cohen - MacCentral Thu Feb 16, 5:04 PM ET

Reports indicate that someone has let loose a “Trojan horse” or worm for Mac
    OS X users. The program is hidden within a package that purportedly contains screenshots of Apple’s as-yet unannounced next major revision to Mac OS X. Whether it’s a Trojan horse or worm seems to vary depending on the source of the information. The code has also elicited a response from Apple, and a warning to its customers.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The package, called “latestpics.tgz,” first surfaced recently on a Mac rumors Web site. Independently verified by Ambrosia Software president Andrew Welch, he’s dubbed it the “Oompa-Loompa Trojan,” because the files in question check for the presence of an attribute called “oompa” — an apparent reference to the movie and book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

Welch provides extensive details on the Ambrosia Software discussion forums.

When unpacked, the archive includes an application that resembles a JPEG file. When it’s clicked on, the file executes and attempts to propagate itself via the buddy list of Apple’s instant messaging software iChat.

Welch is careful to point out that this should probably be considered a Trojan horse, rather than a virus, “because it doesn’t self-propagate externally.”

So-called Trojan horses are differentiated from viruses because they masquerade as a regular application or file and do not replicate themselves arbitrarily.

Anti-virus software maker Sophos takes issue with this description, claiming this is the “first ever virus for Mac OS X.”

“OSX/Leap-A is programmed to use the iChat instant messaging system to spread itself to other users. As such, it is comparable to an email or instant messaging worm on the Windows platform. Worms are a sub category of the group of malware known as viruses,” said Sophos in a statement.

Symantec similarly classifies it as a worm, and classifies its threat containment and removal as “easy.” McAfee, makers of Virex, also call the code, which they refer to as “OSX/Leap,” as a worm.

Intego, makers of VirusBarrier, also confirmed the trojan horse’s existence. Because the code is distributed by iChat, Intego said, people are more likely to presume the file is legitimate. Intego advised users to update their virus definition files and “never open files received by e-mail or iChat unless they are sure that these files are safe.”

Sophos, Symantec, McAfee and Intego have all added the code’s description to their Mac anti-virus software files, which can be downloaded from each publisher’s respective Web site.

OSX/Leap-A, Oompa-Loompa, or whatever else you want to call it, also requires an admin password if you’re not running as an admin, said Ambrosia’s Welch.

Additionally, Ambrosia’s Welch said the software has a bug in its code that prevents it from working and prevents infected applications from launching. Still, he strongly advises users that find the “latestpics.tgz” file to avoid downloading or running it.

Apple also commented on the release of the code in a statement provided to Macworld.

“Leap-A is not a virus, it is malicious software that requires a user to download the application and execute the resulting file,” said Apple. “Apple always advises
    Macintosh users to only accept files from vendors and Web sites that they know and trust. We have a guide to safely handling files received from the Internet at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108009.”

Updated Feb. 16 2006 5:00 PM: Added comments from Apple.

#15     Feb 16, 2006

6. I have to agree - this is not a virus at a significant amount of user action is necessary. If i write and application to wipe your hard drive, hand you a cd with it on there, and tell you to run the app on the cd, is that a virus?

i have no doubt that the media will wet themselves on the chance of being able to mention "apple" and "virus" in the same sentence, as inaccurate as it may be.

#16     Feb 16, 2006
  7. JUST COVERED @ 69.7. LOOKS LIKE IT WANTS TO RUN TO 75 NEXT WEEK. WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS TODAY AND MAY GO LONG.

#17     Feb 17, 2006

8. word.

learned from the older and wiser on here (after i got greedy and lost 12 pts. on aapl) that it will be pinned to the 70 strike today unless somehting newsworthy causes it to gap to the next strike price.

good day to pick up mar calls on the "negative sentiment" :)

i also see the same action in goog - the appl-goog axis-of-evil looks alive and well..... :cool:

good hunting all

-krazy

#18     Feb 17, 2006
  9. I don't think any should Long appl for good 3 years
    It's starting to crash
    Might vist it's record high...
    But Might get really volitile...
    I see appl at 40 in 3 years

#19     Feb 17, 2006