Backwards Britain

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by AbPQuant, Jan 1, 2007.

1. AbPQuant

AbPQuant

Yeah, that is why I have my system on Collective2 trying to create a track record. I have traded Stocks,Options and Forex but with the very the minimum. The odds for success are usually against me. I do however get the experience.

From my experiences telling prospective employers that you have traded this or that doesn't count.

#51     Jan 6, 2007
  2. AbPQuant

AbPQuant

Thanks. No, it is not such a crazy idea. Hopefully, I will be able to do something with my trading system. Yesterday some money manager added me to his Analyst page on C2. He is looking for experience traders with sound risk management, to manage funds. Hopeful if I continue to improve the system then it may lead to something big. That is hope.

#52     Jan 6, 2007
  3. Others have already repeatedly and persuasively made the points that the City is a meritocratic place, that race is not a significant issue and that not all university degrees are equal.

I suspect that you're running into two issues. First, there is still a lot of ageism for new entrants to the industry; there is a natural preference for younger people especially for less challenging jobs like data entry.

Second, it's possible that your interpersonal skills may need some work. Can you get on well with other people and - more importantly - do you give the IMPRESSION in an interview of being able to get on well with other people? You've talked a lot about your educational qualifications but if you want to compete with the best then you need to be painfully honest with yourself about other aspects of your performance. It may be that you come over, for example, as a remote character who is obsessed with numbers. Technical proficiency is only a part of the game.

Suss

#53     Jan 6, 2007
  4. Mr B

Mr B

a good idea is to get personal recommendations eg, I went to a fund management expo and had a buffet with some analysts and investment managers. I called up a guy from my old school who went to Cambridge and had worked at MS and I asked could I use him as a referee and he said yes. that kind of personal recommendation goes a long way, if you can say you've had a chat with respected professionals at other firms it makes you look like you're in demand.

I think you need to grow the melons and be a lot pushier. go to seminars and expos and get some phone numbers - have a business card. there is a yacht show at Excel centre near Canary Wharf this weekend I believe.

#54     Jan 7, 2007
  5. If you are of African origin, then you may have a better shot at being adopted by an American celebrity.

#55     Jan 7, 2007
  6. ROFLM!!

#56     Jan 7, 2007
  7. i've not had time to read all the replies , you seem pretty normal but maybe its a personality trait they dont like about you ? just a thought .

anyway everyone needs a break in life so if you email me i'll reply and send you a list of firms that i know are activily recruiting and expanding. people like trading screen , TT , GL etc all financial software firms that might be easier to break into perhaps ?

writetoneil@hotmail.com

good luck in your search

#57     Jan 9, 2007