Backup Drive

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by chinook, Dec 1, 2003.

1. If you get a second internal harddrive, then later when you want to get a second computer you can use that second hardrive in it. When you go to buy the second computer, you can just buy an upgrade kit for a couple of hundred dollars instead of buying an entire computer. Most upgrade kits right now have everything including the case except for the CDROM and hard drive. You'll have the hard drive, all you have to do is get a CDROM.

#21     Jan 28, 2004
  2. I'm finding out that XP won't boot from an external drive. I'll go with Lancer's suggestion and use a second hard drive in a mobile rack.

I'm planning to make an exact clone of my main drive and be able to boot from the second drive if my main drive dies. I'd like to have the flexibility of keeping both drives in the PC. Most of the time I'll remove the second drive to store it somewhere else. But
    if I use Norton Ghost to clone and boot with both drives in by mistake, it might lead to serious headaches:

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2001032917165825

Has anyone cloned a drive and kept both drives connected in the PC and booted from either drive without problems? I'm trying to figure out if Casper XP can do this.

Chinook

#22     Jan 28, 2004
  3. would you mind posting the ebay seller who's offering them at that price??

i've looked on ebay and all i can find is USB 2.0 enclosures running in the $40 range due to outrageous shipping costs...

TIA,
    -b

#23     Feb 9, 2004