Backtesting

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tradebanzai, Oct 2, 2006.

1. How long it will take you to learn from scratch how to write code depends on a lot of things, but self-confidence, persistence and hard work are often the keys. It won't be so much dependent on the software you choose. If you have the keys, anything is possible.

The specific strategy you describe and a lot of other equally complex strategies can be coded. Just requires patience and persistence.

#11     Oct 3, 2006
  2. Amibroker is continuously being enhanced. Every now and then, there may be a bug that appears in a new release but it gets fixed very quickly. Amibroker works very well in my experience and what you heard is not correct.

From Qcharts.com you can get intraday data for US stocks in ASCII files, which you can then probably import to Tradestation

#12     Oct 3, 2006
  3. ThomasZ.

ThomasZ.

I also vote vor amibroker. I use it already a couple of years and can't live without it.
    Amibroker is extremely fast and you can do probably everything you wish.

Thomas

#13     Oct 9, 2006
  4. taowave

taowave

Hi Dan,
    You sound alot like me.I have been using Ami for 2 months and it is a great backtester.fast,easy and simple.You can optimise almost any variable and its fast and easy to code.It appears you can do almost anything you want with Ami...And this is where it can be verrry challenging to say the least...

I say this as i am not a programmer,but a very experienced trader.I attempted to code a similar strategy as you,and AMI got VERY difficult.You must use looping statements,and other complexities,and even though there are examples in the manual and good user support,I could never get the hang of their "advanced" language. This,and a couple of other issues unfortunatley caused me to give up coding in AMI.

I still use the program,but I have moved on to TradersStudio as I find the advanced language easier to deal with.Traders Studio is more visual basic like,and there are books you can reference. I also find it a much easier language to digest than Amis advanced language.Most important,I also found that I must have live tech support to answer my questions.That is more of a reflection of me than anything else.

With that said,there is no perfect program.All involve tradeoffs.

#14     Oct 9, 2006