backtesting your own formulas in esignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by riskaverse305, Jul 12, 2005.

1. When will Esignal please do an all out assault on Tradestation so we can have a great charting package with automated trading and backtesting that is at least as easy as Tradestation? Tradestation datafeed and "matrix" quote speed has gone to the toilet in my opinion. When I have xtrader es quotes up with esignal charting they are very close, but Tradestation is anywhere from 3 to 6 seconds behind many times a day {and I will not even go into the freeze up issues}.

I want great charting with easy to use programming language and data reliable automated trading capabilities that I could link to my trading platform API------------am I dreaming?

#11     Jul 18, 2005
  2. Don't expect esignal to offer anything that allows you to automate your trading. They have previously stated that they don't want to do this so they are not held responsible if people lose money due to technical or programming problems.

This is disappointing given that it is the natural evolution of most trading products. Esignal will be caught behind.

Runningbear

#12     Jul 18, 2005
  3. Brumfield is the next hope for me {I have heard rumors} with his next rendition of the xtrader product. He has the capital to really do the required work to put out a top notch product also. I am sure if TT does anything in this area it would be first class. I have also heard that someone at the next trade expo will have a Tradestation equivalent product to demo for the first time to the public-------------now that would be nice, some competition!

RunningBear-----------what are you currently using for automated trading?

#13     Jul 18, 2005
  4. I read somewhere in ET that Tradestation will be
    coming out with some major devlopment in thier
    software, but we know that TS had recent policy
    no to promise anything for future, so they might
    not be able to fulfill it on deadline.

Look at Tradestation chart, somthing very promising
    is happening, $415 million cash with Zero debt and
    higher earning every quarter.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=TRAD&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Tradestation might be ready for big breakout to all time high soon

#14     Jul 19, 2005
  5. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

Runningbear,

To my knowledge we have not made that statement. In fact with EFS2, there are a number of EFS functions that allow a user to automate their trading. Here's a KB article that documents each of these functions.

#15     Jul 20, 2005
  6. JayF,

The comment was made on the esignalcentral forum and I was directed to esignal's development partners if I wanted to build my own solution.

Most trading software packages allow you to automate trading signals in some way or another, however that doesn't necessarily make them an effective solution for automated trading.

Primarily, you need a GUI that allows you to turn automated trading on/off for each chart your running your code on, as well as a Close All Positions button, in case something goes really wrong. In effect you need a control layer to over-ride your code and protect yourself, particularly when testing code with real money.

This is why so many third party apps that offer this functionality are appearing in the market. I would however be much happier to use something built by esignal for esignal rather than have to pay for a third party app that adds more complexity and may or may not work effectively.

This is what I'm referring when I say "Automated Trading". I'm not just talking about the ability to trigger trades - I'm talking about an automated trade management solution.

Does Esignal have any plans to offer such functionality, either as part of its standalone product or as an optional plug in?

Runningbear

#16     Jul 21, 2005