BackTesting vs WalkForward

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ButterMilk, Aug 14, 2010.

1. januson

januson

Certainly it would, but when I say lagging indicators I refer to those MACD, RSI etc. that all has a reputation of the holy grail in newbie-eyes.

One can say that price and volume is indicators, sure volume is an indicator as it indicates the volume, but lagging indicators is magic calculus which averages over a period of a type, often time.:p

#31     Aug 17, 2010
  2. januson

januson

async, you have disablet pm.

#32     Aug 17, 2010
  3. Price and Volume are not indicators, they are used in the calculation of indicators.

Investopedia explains Indicator
    In the context of technical analysis, an indicator is a mathematical calculation based on a securities price and/or volume. The result is used to predict future prices. Common technical analysis indicators are the moving average convergence-divergence (MACD) indicator and the relative strength index (RSI).

In an economic context, an indicator could be a measure such as the unemployment rate, which can be used to predict future economic trends. Common general economic indicators are the unemployment rate, new housing starts and the consumer price index (CPI).

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/indicator.asp

#33     Aug 17, 2010
  4. ...What ever you say januson...

#34     Aug 17, 2010
  5. Sorry januson,...It just occurred to me what you were saying...
    PM is enabled...

#35     Aug 17, 2010
  6. januson

januson

I am aware of the concept. An indicator is something that indicates something... Accumulating volume is indicating total volume over some period of type.

As soon as a person starts to think about building a strategy he will always use indicators, my post was just to say "avoid those lagging ones" Put in another way... as soon one starts to look over some period of type then the indicator is lagging.
    I don't believe that there exists any strategies that doesn't use indicators of some sort lagging or non-lagging - and that was my point :)
    A price or volume has absolutely no value if it cannot be compared with similar values. And as soon one starts to do that, the price is indicating something - Investopedia or Not!!:cool:

#36     Aug 17, 2010
  7. Januson,...You are quite right!

However, I use leading and lagging indicators quite successfully...heres how...

In the past, I used them to generate my entry signal - directly,... my results were marginal.

I now use them to qualify the possibility of entering the trade.
    After I get the go ahead (from my indicators), I look for things like pullbacks, I analyze risk and I determine momentum.

Once All of the planets align,...I enter the trade.

I never use indicators to exit the trade - ever (with the exception of the Parabolic SAR (OK, I just contradicted myself (so what))).

This works best for me.

<><><>

Also there are strategies that don't use TA at all. One I hope to work on shortly is the design of a News Scrubber - rank key words and assign them to a fear/greed index.

#37     Aug 17, 2010
  8. rew

rew

It sounds like you are assuming the back tester will be stupid enough to use the same time periods for the learning phase that he uses for the testing phase. Assuming that the back tester has at least the brains of an oyster, he will not do this, but will instead use different time periods for those two purposes. That being the case, how is forward testing fundamentally different from back testing?

#38     Aug 18, 2010