Backtesting State of the art - tradestation or..?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by traderob, Dec 10, 2006.

1. telozo

telozo

Well, there are actually some things that EasyLanguage doesn't support, or is hard to implement, like using global variables, or storing data between backtests, and they are quite important when you want to backtest a portfolio, or spreads.

#11     Dec 11, 2006
  2. traderob

traderob

Surely there must be be a way to get this info? More coding?

#12     Dec 11, 2006
  3. bidask

bidask

2^2 on any calculator = 2*2 on any other calculator

#13     Dec 11, 2006
  4. BTW, those are very easy tasks to accomplish in TS with just a bit of research. Both global variables and portfolio backtesting. And no I do not mean RINA or any fancy external add on!

#14     Dec 11, 2006
  5. backtest portfolio = amibroker

#15     Dec 11, 2006
  6. Really ? I had been using TS2000i for about 4 years and never found easy work-arounds to these problems. Even using their global variables DLL was fraught with complications because the order of the execution of indicators could not be controlled....yet another problem with the TS2000i version.
    If you've got the answers, please do tell.

#16     Dec 11, 2006
  7. For me, the global variables DLL does its job w/o any problems. I use it mainly with the radar screen for portfolio backtesting and real-time execution.

The backtesting part can be accomplished simply with the combination of the radar screen + macro + single chart + non strategy indicator + file + excel. Ok, the combined report is not generated inside TS, but hey, excel certainly gives you more flexibility to generate whatever ratios make you happier!

Ok, I agree it is not a-one-button-easy-solution, but hey, where is the edge then?

For me, the real value of TS is the historical data itself and the ability to process that data in real time to generate trading signals. The rest, is simply boilerplate and one can always get around the problem and find a solution or two!

#17     Dec 11, 2006
  8. If you are looking to test and trade strategies across portfolios you can do better than TS. Yes, it can be hacked together as described in the post above but that is lame compared to something that is built to handle portfolio strategies.

I have been using NeoTicker, it works well for me. Prior to that I used WealthLab and spent some time with TS. YMMV

Guy

#18     Dec 11, 2006
  9. The learning curve for C++ is a bit too steep. C# and Python is relatively easier to learn. Once they are comfortable with general programming. They can then move into C++ if they wish so.

Yes, you have to re-program the functions they offer in TS. But it's just another great way to learn.

Anyways, I would continue using TS until you hit a ceiling, then start thinking from there.

#19     Dec 12, 2006
  10. #20     Dec 12, 2006