Backtesting software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by luitom, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Knyyt

Knyyt

2. DaveN

DaveN

I understand that Behold! is a very good product. The problem I have with it is that it runs on Macs, not Windows platforms. I haven't heard of anyone who has successfully used the emulator. (Not that I have anything against Macs--in fact, I've happily used them in engineering for about 10 years....).

So, I'm looking at buying a reasonably powerful Mac, figuring out how to network it with my internet connection, and picking up all of the other essentials for analysis, like Excel for Macs, etc. (It's a pretty substantial investment in equipment and time, especially time.)

Does anyone know of users who have worked around this?

#12     Dec 18, 2001
  3. Trade Station 2000i is reasonable and is an excellent platform to backtest your systems. You are not locked into Trade Station 6, just ask for 2000i, although the company is trying to phase it out. Many third party data providers supply intraday and end of day data for backtesting your system on 2000i. If one pays only $200 per month for 2000i for 12 months this is cheap insurance against trading losses that are frequently much greater than $200 a month.

#13     Dec 18, 2001
  4. Knyyt

Knyyt

Hi Dave,

Not sure which emulator you used, but if you havent used BasiliskII i would suggest that you might want to try that emulator. Its freeware, and its what i use with no problems on a w2k 128meg 8 gig HD. Its about the best suggestion i could offer at this point for you.

Regards,
    Knyyt

#14     Dec 18, 2001
  5. Knyyt

Knyyt

Trade Station 2000i is reasonable and is an excellent platform to backtest your systems.

Trouble with 2000i is that it "still" is not able to backtest in a portfolio mode which is very important in any type of backtest. with something along the lines of Behold or tradingrecipes you can get a much more realistic simulation of what would have happened in the past.

#15     Dec 18, 2001
  6. Jaba122

Jaba122

How about Investor RT from www.linnsoft.com ? I'm not much into backtesting but it looks like a pretty advanced app.

#16     Jan 13, 2002
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

They seem to be a very supportive organization. They have a weekly chat where you can ask them all the questions you may have.

#17     Jan 13, 2002
  8. babaorum

babaorum

How about Investor RT from www.linnsoft.com ? I'm not much into backtesting but it looks like a pretty advanced app.

I tried Investor RT.Interface is not intuitive.
    I had many problems of data display and poor support from them.
    So I gave up.

I think Wealth-Lab is the best alternative to TS2000i.
    TS2000i suffers from many deficiencies that will never be fixed now that it is no longer sold and supported.

All the others packages like MetaStock or InvestorRT don't have a REAL and FULL programming langage.

When I see the serious of Wealth-Lab, the way they answer and resolve user problems, my choice is already done and I'm sure they will become rapidly a standard in this industry.

#18     Jan 14, 2002
  9. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Finally I had a closer look at wealth lab online.
    This is good, pretty good indeed.
    I did not try the desktop version, but I like the fact that even the online version allows you to test against basket of stocks. and even different sets.

I also find the functions right on. From indicators (many strange ones already part of the library) to very good trading functions and position management features. The reports are pretty good too.

So finally I agree this software beats my beloved AIQ (for basket trading).
    For realtime I don't know, you have to tell me.
    The community is pretty large and helpful too with all the samples around and public scripts and ideas.

coding is not easy for non programmers, but I think it never is anyway.

I read today NeoTicker is out. I tried to download the demo but it quits as soon as I start it. I still like Ensign but would like to use a unified software doing basket long term and futures realtime.

tntneo

#20     Jan 19, 2002