Backtesting software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by luitom, Dec 13, 2001.

1. luitom

luitom

It is extremely difficult to find good backtesting software that is not very expensive and does not bind you to open a brokerage account (like Tradestation).

It would be interesting to discuss pros and cons of different software. Does anybody know of a reliable and not too expensive software that can use different kinds of data feeds and allows you to create fairly elaborate trading systems? Am I asking too much?

2. Vishnu

Vishnu

3. I have used metaStock for years (with eSignal) http://www.metastock.com. Do a search on metastock for several threads on metastock and it's pros and cons.

I'm in the process of switching to Wealth-lab, due to the much better programming and testing capabilities.

4. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Vishnu,

Do you know:
    if wealth-lab works on intraday data?
    if they have a source for historical data?
    if they can run strategies across many symbols at a time?

5. Vishnu

Vishnu

They can run on intraday data (Qfeed/Qcharts). They have historical data from a variety of sources. And you can test on baskets of symbols.

6. cashonly

Do they have a source for historical INTRADAY data? That always seems to be a sticking point with various software.

7. Vishnu

Vishnu

Qfeed. Maybe others as well but I use Qfeed for historical intraday data. For instance, I just loaded up a year's worth of five minute data on about 30 Nasdaq stocks in order to do some backtesting.

8. cashonly

Can you have multiple time series in a strategy?

For example, use intraday charts, but be able to look at the daily chart for the last 20 days average true range so you can see if you've had a H-L difference on the intraday chart that exceeds it?

9. Vishnu

Vishnu

Yes. But check it out. All the answers are at www.wealth-lab.com.

I have no involvement with the site or product. I just use it a lot.

10. cashonly

I use Tradestation 2000 right now. It's OK and I've got it doing a lot of what I want. I wouldn't mind something better, but I don't look forward to ramping up on learning the idosynchrasies of another product.

I looked at wealth-lab a few months ago, but didn't look into it too fully as I didn't have the time to more thoroughly investigate it. I'll check it out again. Thx for your input.

#10     Dec 16, 2001