Backtesting Software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by jlcarey1, Feb 24, 2004.

1. If it is testing you are doing, then I would avoid Metastock. I own it and have used it for years, and it makes pretty charts, but it is awful as a system development and testing tool.

WL is good. I use TechnifilterPlus for EOD. Very fast and capable, if not very pretty.

m

#11     Mar 11, 2004
  2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Wealth-Lab is excellent for system development and back-testing. I have used it for EOD scans quite a while, and am working to integrate it into a real-time set-up (E-Signal/WL/IB) on a dedicated server.

Wealth-Lab support is also top-notch.

- Greg

#12     Mar 11, 2004
  3. backman

backman

can wealthlab test strategies based upon the entire NASDAQ, or can it only test one symbol at a time?

Also, can someone give me an idea as to the learning curve, assuming i stopped trading and made Wealth-Lab my priority....
    1 week? 1 month?

I have some limited (antiquated) programming background, and have written multiple scans in Neovest's first alert, which can scan NAZ in real-time.....i'd like to be able to backtest the real-time scans on an entire universe of stocks

#13     Mar 11, 2004
  4. Check out

www.amibroker.com

It can do it all for a fraction of the price.
    Excellent support as well.

#14     Mar 11, 2004
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

You can create strategies based on all the symbols of NASDAQ or on individual equities. You can test one or many symbols at a time. There are also tools for evaluating the strategies.

The learning curve is not difficult if you have some programming background in your past. There are many examples of scripts on the Wealth-lab website that can be used as examples.

If you have the intra-day data for the entire universe, you will be able to backtest your scans across all the equities.

- Greg

#15     Mar 11, 2004
  6. Metastock Dos was better than Metastock Windows: there has been a programming langage with the dos version that doesn't exist any more in Windows version : it's like having Excel functions without VBA. So Metastock sucks from this point of view. Now I stopped at version 5, maybe they had changed since but it would surprise me. As for Wealthlab I have already emit my advice. For classical technical indicators it is good - I said good I didn't say excellent this means they have still to improve :D (and for me it was inadequate as my model is not classical).

#16     Mar 11, 2004
  7. #17     Mar 11, 2004
  8. Turok

Turok

>can wealthlab test strategies based upon the
    >entire NASDAQ, or can it only test one symbol
    >at a time?

I'm in the middle of testing over 11 thousand at once as I write this (though I do often find it faster to break it down into 4k or less or reduce the length of the data)

The ability to test at a portfolio level are the keys to the kingdom if you are a swing trade systems developer.

>Also, can someone give me an idea as to the learning curve,

If you know programming basics, (conditional statements, loops, etc) then it shouldn't take more than a week or so to be able to program simple systems. After a month you should be on the go.

JB

#18     Mar 11, 2004