backtesting software

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by hopeful, Jan 18, 2009.

1. hopeful

hopeful

I would like to backtest my trading ideas. I am a very short term trader so I need something that can backtest based on intraday data , tick data is preferable, but ordinary 1,2,3 minute bars would do too.

Can anyone throw this dog a bone? What do you like to use? Thank you.

2. molite

molite

I'm new to all this too.
    There is a bunch of powerful stuff out there. Ive checked out a bunch of demo's. If you need something simple, to write and back test simple strategies I would recomend TD Ameritrades "strategy desk" you'll have to open a 5k account to get access to all their data. you won't be able to test futures, stocks only. Within a week of self training I was back testing strategies on 500 stocks 10 years back. I will change software as I get more advanced, and my back testing winds down, As I do not want to pay 10 bucks a trade.
    Good luck.

3. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks for that. I have started using Ninja Trader for back testing - it has a strategy wizard that makes it easy to program your rules I'm quickly realizing that my 'great ideas' don't stand up very well - nice reality check. Lot's of work to do, and doing it obsessively.