Backtesting Patterns

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by TraderZz, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Does anyone know some software to backtest things like 2b/2t patterns and gartley variations? I would want to specify what fibs to use, # of bars minimum and maximum to take the 2b/2t signals on and other 2br and 3br signals, profit targets based on swing highs/lows, etc.

Is it possible to do this with tradestation easylanguage?

I have a little programming experience from a few years ago as I took some java in college, but thats it. I am willing to learn whatever language I have to though.

I am pretty much at ground 0, started some research today, but thought I would post this first to see if I can get wind in the right direction.

2. Tradestation, Amibroker, NinjaTrader, TradersStudio, you name it, they can all be programmed to do anything you want (almost) in terms of backtesting. I warn you though that you will not get a significant edge with only chart patterns unless you add some more things to them. Probably you know that already.

3. what else do you believe one needs?
    cheers

4. Add ESignal to your list. I have gotten filthy rich using it.

5. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

What ?

Seriously I think there are some "paid" posters to keep this site "active" or alive....

6. I am seriously off-ended by your desponse. If anyting, EasySignal is horriefried that I tout their dis-service. They are so fucking bad that I lost money for nine fucking years trading from their goddam data. But last year misteareously their data got bettur.

7. Confirmation filters and, of course, money management particular to chart patterns.

I say, for most people, forget it. At the end of the day it gets too complicated to apply filters properly. If you ever try to optimize for filter performance you get scores of unstable sub-optimal solutions and maybe one well hidden optimal solution that is borderline robust.

8. Thank you for the responses.

Bill: Yes, I am not using patterns by themselves. I analyze based on context (trend) and WHERE the patterns occur.