Backtest strategy w/o programming

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Dmitrij_111, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Thanks, aware of this one. Looking for something to have on Mac.

#11     Sep 25, 2020
  2. Thanks, will consider this. Have you tried?

#12     Sep 25, 2020
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Wrong way to approach your task. Most trading software for backtest is written for windows. Just partition drive and install windows on it. Problem solved.

#13     Sep 25, 2020
  4. guru

guru

Yes, I’ve used QuantConnect, and it’s generally becoming popular since it supports backtesting online while later running live strategies. It competes with Quantopian, while there are many similar desktop type products like MetaTrader, NinjaTrader, Amibroker, etc.

#14     Sep 25, 2020
  5. userque

userque

I've never personally verified, but it's my understanding that MotiveWave is now free to use, similar to NinjaTrader, for backtesting. Not sure: if they have free EOD data (as NT does); or what type of data you need; or already have.

Here's a link to the free version page:

https://support.motivewave.com/free-charting-software/

It can be used with the Mac.

#15     Sep 25, 2020
  6. I know,
    thank you, I will try tomorrow!

#16     Sep 25, 2020
  7. They

They

Fiverr Profile
    Name: Xanadu_Secret_Sauce_Holy_Grail
    Skills: Having people pay me to back test their trading system and then stealing the ones that contain Alpha

#17     Sep 25, 2020
    virtusa likes this.
  8. guru

guru

Of course, the OP can decide whether to use them or not.
    Navinder Sarao decided to hire a programmer and made $millions (whether fairly or not)

#18     Sep 25, 2020
  9. Made me laugh, but it’s true.

#19     Sep 26, 2020
  10. virtusa

virtusa

Using this would just confirm that you are an idiot. Giving away your system?????

I backtested my system manually.
    Took a long time, but:
    • nobody could steal my code.
    • I learned a lot as I went thru each trade in slow motion and could sometimes already see what I should adapt to make the system better. Just pushing a button and getting the final result will never give you all that info. Because you have no insight in the problems, you just get a hocus pocus result that tells you nothing about how to improve your system. What are the strong points and what are the weak points? Only manual can give the answer.
    Even now I still check all trades in hindsight by using replay mode in NT8. I can then watch in detail what happens at crucial moments, second by second. Resulted in major improvements.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    #20     Sep 26, 2020
    They, Dmitrij_111 and MarkBrown like this.