Backtest Feed-Hopper: into which material is poured and from which it is regularly fed to a machine

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by easymon1, Aug 15, 2020.

1. easymon1

easymon1

Backtest Feed-Hopper: into which material is poured at intervals and from which it is regularly fed to a machine.

Backtesting - Investopedia
    ... Backtesting is a way to evaluate the effectiveness of a trading strategy by running the strategy against historical data to see how it would have done ex-post.

Any veteran backtesters out there willing to indulge us with a demonstration of the art upon the Hopper Item below?

Hopper Item #2020 0815 2103
    3 Ducks Trading System

The system makes use of just ONE simple moving average – the 60 SMA.

Time frames used: 4-hour, 1-hour, 5-min

1. Buy conditions:

Price must be above the 60SMA on both the 4-hour and 1-hour charts.
    Buy on candle close when price crosses above the 60SMA on the 5-min chart.

2. Sell conditions

Price must be below the 60SMA on both the 4-hour and 1-hour charts.
    Sell on candle close when price crosses below the 60SMA on the 5-min chart.

Exit conditions:

1. Stop loss: Place initial stop loss 30 pips above or below trigger price.

2. Profit target: Place profit target 30 pips above or below the entry price in the direction of the signal.

3. New crossovers: Close trade if price crosses back above or below the 60SMA. This would signal that the 3 ducks are no longer aligned.

Starting account balance = $100,000

Item traded: EUR/USD, or Your Choice

Amount risked per trade: stop loss = 1% of account value
    Adjust position size so stop loss, 30 pips for EUR/USD in this case = 1% of account value.
    If futures are used, adjust position size to maximum number of contracts while stop loss < 1% of account value.
    If micro futures can be used, (mnq) use maximum number of contracts while stop loss < 1% of account value.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. easymon1

easymon1

Hopper Item #2020 0815 2103
    3 Ducks Trading System

3. easymon1

easymon1

Any suggestions on what backtesters would be easiest to implement this 3 Ducks strategy?

4. Ok. I'll try it. I'm going to need a desktop computer for this with multiple screen view. Don't think the Android will cut it.

And I will need some robot software to place trades for me eventually.

easymon1 likes this.
  5. Is the new crossover only when the candle closes?

6. easymon1

easymon1

"...NinjaTrader. It is free to back test and free historical data. You can back test as much as you like." SimpleLikeMe.
    https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/...ce-action-trading.350257/page-11#post-5210190

T5810
    https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/problem-with-dell-t3500-workstation.348259/page-3#post-5174101
    "I replaced all my T3500s with T5810s to run W10.... bought used on eBay, of course." Scat.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  7. easymon1

easymon1

Good eye, ... try the easiest then the other?

8. If I'm going strictly by math here, it HAS to be when it closes.

One time I thought I had a genius strategy with Bollinger bands. Just to find out it doesn't work because I have to wait until the candle to close. There's no way to reproduce it in real time if you don't wait for the candle to close.

easymon1 likes this.
  9. ph1l

ph1l

easymon1 likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1

"modified 3 Ducks Trading System backtest...5-minute chart changed to 15-minute chart. "

"Also, instead of using the 4-hour, 1-hour, and 5-minute charts, I zoomed out a little and used the 4-hour, 1-hour, and 15-minute charts."

What'd he go and do that for? freakin' robopip. related to bender.

robopip.jpg

https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/money-and-the-songs-about-it.344652/page-3#post-5212304

#10     Sep 26, 2020