Backing up one hard drive with another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonper, Jul 23, 2001.

1. jonper

jonper

I'd like to have a second cpu available for redundancy in case my main trading cpu fails. Would it be possible and acceptable to use this second cpu's hard drive to back up the hard drive of the main cpu rather than using Zip or Jazz drives? Any better ideas for cpu redundancy and hard drive backup?

2. aldrums

aldrums

If you network your computers together, You can use a program like Drive Image by Powerquest or Norton's Ghost. This will allow you to back up your entire drive to one "Image" file on that same drive. Then you can move this file over the network to your other computer.
    I am not sure about Norton Ghost, but with Drive Image you can also back up your image to a CD-R.

Alex

3. Fohat

Fohat

jonper,

Yes, it's possible and acceptable to use this second cpu's hard drive to back up the hard drive of the main cpu.

Another method is to buy a Mobile Hard Drive Rack ($9 and up) and use hard drive/s instead of Zip, Jazz or CD-R/W drives.

With prices less than $2/Gigabyte per 40GB hard drive, it's more efficient(time and $)and reliable to use directly hard drives for backup instead of the lower capacity Jazz or Zip drives and fragile Cd-R/CD-RW disks.

Fohat