Backing up a computer

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by monee, Feb 3, 2008.

1. The disc can't walk and chew gum at the same time. If you only have one disc, then that's all you have to work with and you can have Page File, but it's not going to have the performance otherwise if you had 2 hdd's.

#21     Apr 7, 2008
  2. Did you get this idea from me?

I could be wrong, but I thought you said in a pm some time ago that you used to keep everything on hd. Or somesuch thing. Flash drives are awesome.

#22     Apr 9, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

I've done both for years. Though usually greater cost, external hard drives are much faster... especially if the backup is of any size.

#23     Apr 9, 2008
  4. Thanks gnome for your answers. :) A good thread, learned a lot from it.

#24     Apr 17, 2008
  5. ethos

ethos

Specialy this one:
    http://www.eritastore.com/0/12386145.html

I need to replace my old 2Gig flash with that one. 32Gig is more then enough. And it is waterproof!

#25     May 5, 2008
  6. If you have a few gig of files that you want to back up and keep periodic backups of, I recommend using JungleDisk if you have a reasonably fast internet connection. I was going to use an external disk but I travel around a lot and I'm worried about losing it, theft, or if it fails - or just remember to make backups.

JungleDisk is software that uses Amazon's S3 computing cloud service. You pay $0.15 per gig per month for storage and $20 for the jungledisk software, which can be installed on as many computers as you want (for your account).

You can set it to backup at any time interval (every 5 mins, once per day, etc). This is useful if you are working on files and you want a periodic backup of your progress. It only copies the files that have been added or changed. It keeps 60 days of versions of files - unless you change that setting to keep more or less history of changes.

Also, it's great for keeping all of your files accessible from either home or work or elsewhere. Anyway, it's been pretty seamless for me. www.jungledisk.com

#26     May 5, 2008
  7. If you need something that is more business/compliance oriented, check out VaultWise(http://vaultwise.com)

They aren't fully live yet, but I spoke with one of the engineers and was able to get a package setup. Really a great value for level of service you get.

Regards,

#27     May 9, 2008
  8. Gnome,

I've had a brand new ACOM-DATA push-button external drive sitting on my desk for the last year and a half and have still yet to figure out how to use the DAMN thing!

I've read through the instructions on two occasions and the booklet "baffles" me to no end!

:(

#28     May 9, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

I'll not be much help on that. I've always avoided the "one button backup" dealies. Perhaps you can not use the one button feature and just copy to it like an ordinary external drive... drag and drop, destination for Acronis image... that sort of thing.

#29     May 9, 2008
  10. Hi Folks

Have just purchased a new PC which comes with Vista loaded. With all the problems relating to that particular operating system I got the manufacture to remove it completely so the computer now comes with a complete blank hard drive.

My intention is to make a "Boot-Disk" and "Hard Drive Image" of my old PC hd using Acronis TrueImage. I will then start my new PC with the bootdisk and copy all my software onto it. Now my question is will work or am I suppose to format the new PC hd before I take the above action.

Thanks for any help received.

LotsOfLoot

#30     Jul 5, 2008