Backdoor Taxes to hit the Middle Class

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Arnie, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Wallet

Wallet

Bull crap!

It's called inflation, same goes as the money that was used to purchase that home years ago went farther. I used to be able to buy a candy bar for 10 cents, just because I pay 2.50 for it now doesn't mean it's worth more. Plus the local and state governments have been taxing that piece of dirt and any improvements since it's purchase.

When I buy something and pay the tax on it, the tax bill is PAID.

What you propose opens the door on any official levying a tax on any increase of property. If that's my business then I'll pay the income tax, but taxing an individuals assets when they die when transferring them to their family is WRONG!!!!

#11     Feb 2, 2010
  2. how is it fair to have assets pass tax free through an estate but the same assets if sold 1 day before death are taxed? basic fairness is that all assets be taxed equally when sold.

#12     Feb 2, 2010
  3. Wallet

Wallet

In my state, when the ownership of a vehicle changes, the new owner has to pay what is called , tags, tax and title. Meaning tags are a usage tax for each vehicle to drive the roads for the current year. Tax is a one time excise tax figured on a prorated basis of the vehicles msrp. Title is the cost involved of paper work, physically changing the names.

That holds true for every transaction except transferring inside your own family, where the only fee is title costs..... no taxes!

The tax of transferring death estate assets between family members is WRONG!!!!!

There should be NO tax to transfer any asset between family at any time.

The monies used to pay for those assets were taxed when earned, and sales tax was paid on the asset itself at purchase. If I want to give it to someone why should they pay a second time??????

#13     Feb 2, 2010
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

You shouldn't, the whole idea of a "death tax" is absurd.

#14     Feb 2, 2010