Back testing basics.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by profitfromprice, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Choad:

Here's your long system in Wealth-Lab. It has a 10% profit target and 5% stoploss like the spreadsheet on your site.

With starting capital $100,000, $5K trade size, 0.01/share commission, it barely breaks even over the last 5 years on the stocks in the SP500.

Hi Choad:

Thank you very much for taking the time to run my signal and posting the results here. Though my signal did not stand the test on wealth-lab, thanks for showing your script and sharing the output. (In real life, I have few more screening conditions which I am not able to program with stockfetcher, like, I keep stoploss at 1% lower to the signal day's low price instead of at 5%. Also I don't take a position if the stock has moved more than double the normal daily movement to avoid certain case....and if the overall market is weak then before buying anything at next day's open, I wait for a pull back in prices...)

I did spend few minutes on wealth-lab but could not find answer to questions I had. I would ultimately find the answer to it after I am able to spend enough time on it but just wondering if you can give a quick reply...

1. Is it a screening website like stockfetcher? Can screens be run on wealth-lab with live data? Currently I use stockfetcher which gives me list of the stocks in which my signals have occurred at the end of every trading day. I am interested in running my signal just before close of the trading so I don't have to wait another day for certain situational plays.

2. For wealth-lab, does the purchase price include access to historical price data also? I mean is it just one time fee or is there some recurring fee also?

Last request, if can email me the list of the trades the signal generated on wealth-lab, would be just awesome.

Thanks a lot again.

#11     Jun 8, 2005
  2. Choad

Choad

The Wealth-Lab site uses the WL software and can scan for trades, but it has limited features and can only be used on delayed data. The W-L software you buy (WL Developer) that runs on your computer does not come with data, so you must use Yahoo (free) or your own data source.

The real power of WLD (IMHO) is in its backtesting capability. Unfortunately it was sold to Fidelity, so you have to have an account there, or be a non-us resident to get it now.

There are 3rd party (unsupported by WL) "real-time" adapters you can use to hook to brokers like IB and generate trades, but I don't know how well they work.

If you are looking for a fairly powerful stock screener, I like Worden TC2005. You can easily write your own scans with their "personal criteria formulas".

I'll send you the trades when I get home.

Regards

C

#12     Jun 8, 2005