Back after several years...

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Steve Tvardek, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ok, I went to law school so I really don't know for certain. That's just what the finance academics and practioners I know ( quite a few ) say about MBA's

surf

#31     Feb 11, 2013
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You shold use your MBA to get into an investment bank on the research or banking side. After a few years work your way into private equity or a hedgefund as a PM or an analyst.

#32     Feb 11, 2013
  3. cookding

cookding

I think when you took on the MBA thingy, you have envisioned to build a career... Do not let your past obstruct you...

The past has gone and the future has not yet come. Let the possibilities unfold.

#33     Feb 11, 2013
  4. Good point.

#34     Feb 11, 2013
  5. Very good advice, thank you.

#35     Feb 13, 2013
  6. Hey , Tvardek , join the union , good jobs and benefits :)))

#36     Feb 13, 2013
  7. nursebee

nursebee

Turning 5K into 230K in one year and going back to school raises my BS defenses. It seems like you are pimping yourself now, and someone offered you a job worthy of the degree you got.

#37     Feb 16, 2013
  8. I have my K1 forms for 2005 and 2006 from Hold Brothers to prove my earnings. Each year I started with 5k risk capital, in 2005 I earned 125k and in 2006 230k. I mention these figures to show I have some experience in the field of trading and experience in financial markets. I don't know if pimping myself if the right phrase but I'm certainly reaching out to this community to see if anyone has any advice or connections for someone with financial mkts experience and an MBA (by May of this year).

Thanks to those who've contacted me so far and who've provided advice. Much appreciated.

#38     Feb 16, 2013
  9. gaj

gaj

steve - welcome back, congrats on getting an mba. means you have a lot of different paths open to you. i know several (non-equities) traders who got mba's because their company liked having it on their desk.

too bad your wife doesn't have a full-time job with benefits, but that's the breaks. just as trading is easier if it's not your full time job, so is trading knowing there's benefits / some money coming in from another source.

good luck with the search...

#39     Feb 16, 2013
  10. Hey Gaj,

My wife does have a full time job with benefits (SAG health insurance), it's just not necessarily steady. She makes great money now, and has for several years, but it's not necessarily the case that it will continue this way. There are a lot of variables in the voice over industry and it's difficult to feel comfortable even when things are going well. For instance, she's been the voice of Swiffer mops and brooms (TV commercials) for the last 6 years but if that campaign changes, it will cut her yearly income in half.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty positive overall. Thanks for the support! :)

#40     Feb 16, 2013