Bachmann: Obama's Waving A "Tar Baby"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

The term "tar baby" simply is not appropriate these days.

If the wild-eyed bitch wasn't from Minnesota she would know how to act in polite society. She is unfit for public office, period.

#11     Apr 19, 2012
  2. Wallet

Wallet

I live in the south and am familiar with the story, and while the term "tar baby" isn't in my everyday vocabulary, hearing it from someone wouldn't conjure anything racist.

#12     Apr 19, 2012
  3. Agreed. It's a bit dated, but it is certainly not something that has immediate racist connotations.

#13     Apr 19, 2012
  4. But calling a U. S Representative and presidential candidate a "wild eyed bitch " is?

You are off base on both counts.

#14     Apr 19, 2012
  5. #15     Apr 19, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Nonsense.

A state that can consider Al Franken to be a serious human being isn't going to produce a President, ever. And she most definitely is a wild-eyed bitch who wasted the time and resources of the GOP with her candidacy not to mention her diminishment of other candidates who were viable.

Come down here into LA and say "tar baby" and see what happens friend.

#16     Apr 19, 2012
  7. Now, come on, you don't want to see AAA dead on the 405 do you? Those who say they don't understand this type of slur, probably don't understand much.

#17     Apr 19, 2012
  8. wiki:

On July 29, 2011, Lamborn (Doug Lamborn is the U.S. Representative for Colorado's 5th congressional district) He is a member of the Republican Party. The district is based in Colorado Springs.

Lamborn appeared on a denver radio program to discuss the debt crisis and the failure of Democrats and Republicans to reach a compromise on the problem. Lamborn stated "Now, I don't even want to have to be associated with [President Obama]. It's like touching a tar baby and you get it, you're stuck, and you're a part of the problem now and you can't get away."[20] The term tar baby is a known racial slur used towards African-Americans. Former Colorado House Speaker Terrance Carroll, himself an African-American, replied "“Looking beyond the fact that Congressman Lamborn’s entire comment is nonsensical, his use of the term ‘tar baby’ is unfortunate because [of] the historical connotation of that term when used in conjunction with African Americans."[21]

On August 1, 2011, Lamborn apologized for his use of the slur, explaining ""When I said 'tar baby', I was talking economic quagmire that our country is finding ourselves in because of poor economic policy from the White House. I could have used a better term."[22]

#18     Apr 19, 2012
  9. pspr

pspr

I think she should have chosen a different phrase. She was looking for something borderline that would get her comment in the media and she found it. I think overall it was a negative for her politically but not scandalous. Democrats say much worse without raising an eyebrow.

#19     Apr 19, 2012
  10. Agreed.

#20     Apr 19, 2012