Baby Boomers cashing in 401k's

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pumpanddumper, Jul 29, 2007.

1. ...and a meltup in Treasuries, which would help me, anyway, keep my losses in my 401k to a minimum.

#11     Jul 31, 2007
  2. My family of baby boomers thanked me on Thanksgiving for saving them 10's of thousands in their mutual funds. Most are in stable bonds now.

Even thought the market rallied after August, I'm hoping there is more pain to come to equities.

If by next quarter, the equities markets get cheaper, I'll put them back in.

I still have that thought with a bigger panic, others will give in and get out if things get worse.

#12     Nov 26, 2007
  3. Bootsie

Bootsie

I'm an Gen-X-er but the in-laws are boomers...

They've been in gold (Sprott Asst.) the last 5 or so years. Their pension has more than quintupled in that time.

:cool:

#13     Nov 26, 2007
  4. I put 100% of 401k $ into bond funds on 9/30
    Ive made enough money this year and didnt want to see it evaporate

It'll go back into QQQQs, Diamonds & Spyders --- sometime hopefully in 2008

I'm still holding quite a bit in company issued stock options and stuff like that --- but the tax implications of moving that stuff around are more involved -- not ready to do that yet

and Im only 50
    The market can pull this shit a couple more times before Im done

who really fishes when they retire anywayA?

#15     Nov 26, 2007
  5. Nanook

Nanook

I also went to 100% cash in the 401K on 11/12 -- if not the funds would have "lost" 4G in two weeks.
    Fishing season is over up here (unless you're into icefishing -- but we're having above normal temps -- so ice is not thick enough, yet).

#16     Nov 26, 2007

6. I have the green light to move assets out of the MM accounts SOON.

I know a short term bottom is near. Why? BEAR mania has finally hit public mainstream. Back when I started getting worried with this inflated market, it was "the bull run won't end".

Greed never wins guys! Sell the greed, buy the fear comes to mind....well that fear is today for my baby boomer accounts that have been out of action for the last few months. Money is begging to be put to work and collecting dust in MM accounts.

Sure, I should have parked them in the Bear protection fund. No, I played it safe with them and let this disaster play out.

Time to re-allocate!

#17     Jan 22, 2008