B*A*R*R*O*N*S GAME Feb 10th!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Feb 10, 2007.

1. runningman I'm anti oil now. Even when oil was going up regularly I wasn't thrilled with how the stocks moved. On this bounce they look shakey too. China reduced growth if we do the same, It's back to $45-$50 inventories look strong to me, cold snap will pass in a month. Nat Gas I'm kind of bullish on and those canadian trusts look to be bounceback candidates if you have till 2011 for the Canadian tax- that's too long for some investors not to bid these back up. GNI & FDG are interesting....

#11     Feb 11, 2007
  2. topdown

topdown

Stoney - I wholeheartedly agree with you on this week's issue - nothing really stands out. As the owner of a '67 mustang convertible I enjoyed the muscle car article, but after searching for a long while, I could not come up with a pure play on collector cars. The value of my car has increased maybe 50% in the past 6 years. I wouldn't call that a great investment, but I'm not loosing any money and it sure is fun.

A few ideas:

- I like the looks of the chart on Aspen Technologies (AZPN) on page M2. I'll have do do some additional digging on that one.

- The Wedbush upgrade of SIRI drew my attention to have a look at the chart. It is near a 52 week low, so if one wanted to bet on the SIRI / XM merger that is all the talk, now may be the time to get in. I see limited downside risk and if the merger does happen, both stocks may see a surge. The risk / reward may just pay-off. I don't see SIRI going belly up anytime soon.

#12     Feb 11, 2007
  3. topdown

topdown

Stoney - I searched deep into this week's issue and couldn't find a single mention of CBLI. They aren't even included in the Stock Tables!

You are the "Man in the Booth" that has to make the final call, but being on the field, I'd have to throw the red flag. CBLI shouldn't be allowed in this week's game. (I still think that I will play it).

#13     Feb 11, 2007
  4. MEETING adjourned!

The High Investment Council of Stonedinvesting has reached a decision!

No.

Well we cannot use CBLI because it had a huge week already. We CAN use and old name if it has not had a run yet.

Case in point WCI. Which (I have to check) was in a roundtable discussion I think...

WCI's shares rise on reported interest in land holdings
    Marketwatch - January 26, 2007 1:00 AM ET
    Related Quotes
    Symbol Last Chg
    WCI Trade 20.68 0.00
    Real time quote.

BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Bonita Springs, Fla.-based home builder WCI Communities Inc. gained nearly 2% in early dealings Friday after a report that large investors have been accumulating the company's shares. Billionaire financier Carl Icahn and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have disclosed significant stakes in the builder of traditional and tower residences in so-called lifestyle communities, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday. The newspaper reported the investors think WCI's land holdings could have significant value if Florida's beaten-down real estate, housing and condominium markets recover.

This came just AFTER a house downgrade! Next the company adopts a poison pill! Bad move. Then today they've hired Goldman to explore strategic alternatives to get the share price up. This is one very confused company....

#14     Feb 12, 2007
  5. Special Alert from the two faced dept*

Folks I just can't find any trades today- so I broke the rules and bought 900 CBLI @ $8.50 area.
    ~stoney

#15     Feb 12, 2007
  6. 2 Face Stock report update*

CBLI finally pulling out need to clear Jan 12 snapback rally high of $8.72 are...

Also Just released:(MED) Medifast reports unaudited FY06 rev +83% to $73.5 mln, vs $72.9 mln consensus. "We are extremely pleased with our 2006 year end revenues which exceeded our previously reported financial revenues guidance expectations of $70 to $72 million..." Co expects to release 2007 rev and EPS guidance in the first week of March. As done throughout its history, the co will continue to update 2007 financial guidance on a quarterly basis as necessary.
    12:55:34 Comment MED explodes 75c in as few min after earnings release.......

I've of course twisted myself into a pretzel and have hardly any funds available for MED> I threw $4K at it to see if it can stick for a day or two....

#16     Feb 12, 2007