B.A. in Trading the Financial Markets

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by John47, May 11, 2005.

1. John47

John47

I think this is a question where expirienced traders especially can help. If you were asked to help put together a degree in trading for a major university...what areas of study, and what texts would you recommend?

What books would be essential to lay the groundwork? What type of understanding is essential?

What 'fringe areas' are important...macro econ and politics wise?

In going on to specialize in fixed income, options, index fut's, commodities, equities...what books help specialize?

What are the key relationships?

2. I'd put them in front of a computer screen with charts and a news service from 9-4 for 4 years.

3. Course Name: Trading 101
    Days: M T W TR F
    Time: 6:30 AM EST
    Instructor: Cpt. Ahab

Put them on the edge of a dive board on top of an ice cold pool of water. Have them face you. Now shove them into the water. When they get back to the top, repeat again and again until they figure out that they can bend sideways, duck or sit down to avoid falling. The ones that keep coming back and figure it out get to pass the course. The rest will give up or go to the hospital and live to avoid the course. Once they pass this, you can then move on to economics, auction market theory, psychology, etc etc.

4. svrart

svrart

Theory is just that... It may work and it may not work. Having said that, here's what I would make them learn as a foundation

Introduction to the markets - what markets, why, who, instruments, exchanges, players etc.

Introduction to Fundamental Analysis

Introduction to Technical Analysis

Introduction to economics and economic statistics (Irwin Jones guide to wall street journal etc.)

Exposure to some common trading rules and strategies.