Ayn Rand and trading...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Zachpence, Jan 7, 2009.

1. To say something doesn't work for everybody because it didn't work for one person is not being very objective. That was the message in the bottle for those who could perceive it. Objectivity.

#31     Jan 8, 2009
  2. I refer to reality, and Rand's evident aversion to it. Which is rather ironic, since her "philosophy" is supposedly grounded in reality, and yet it requires cartoon characters to give it life.

#32     Jan 8, 2009
  3. Agreed, although I have only read The Fountainhead.

#33     Jan 8, 2009
  4. Stosh

Stosh

For those who don't have time or desire to read her books, I'll sum it up. She wouldn't have approved of the TARP or any other gov't bailout or stimulus........only voluntary private charity. Stosh

#34     Jan 8, 2009
  5. If it helps to muddy the waters, I think that the bailouts are somewhat misguided and certainly overdone.

#35     Jan 8, 2009
  6. Reality? But what is reality thundy? Whose reality? Mine, yours or hers?

Either way here is the definition of the word 'novel' fyr...

"Novels (from the Italian novella, Spanish novela, French nouvelle for "new", "news", or "short story of something new") are a popular form of literature, in which fictional depictions of life and events are described in written prose. In modern usage, novels can be distinguished from other forms of fiction as long written, fictional, prose narratives, which are usually published in book format."

#36     Jan 8, 2009
  7. I refer to the way that the world and human nature appear to work. Her brand of philosophy cannot hope to have lasting traction for the same reason communism cannot stand the test of time. They are both unsustainable extremes. Let me repeat what I had written earlier and elsewhere: the solution to one extreme is not the other extreme, particularly where human nature is concerned. Failing to grasp such a basic premise is to defy the very reality that Rand ostensibly craved. Who's objective now?

#37     Jan 8, 2009
  8. ak15

ak15

It is quite mystifying that you mention Palin's name alongside Thatcher and Reagan.

Palin, the one who couldn't remember the name of any newspapers and magazines that she regularly read to stay informed and understand the world, was unable to name a single Supreme Court case she disagrees with other than Roe v. Wade and could see "Russia from Alaska."
    Oh yeah, I ridiculed Palin too.

#38     Jan 8, 2009
  9. Stosh

Stosh

Perhaps if Alan Greenspan (one of her early disciples) had not strayed from her "extreme views", our economy and markets would be better today. There is nothing extreme about limited government, laissez faire economics, and individual responsibility. That is what she preached as did Milton Friedman and many other wise men and women. Stosh

#39     Jan 8, 2009
  10. Stosh

Stosh

You don't have to know all those details if you are grounded in time tested principles, have a lot of common sense, and can tell the difference between a sage and a charlatan. Many of our leaders have been educated beyond their capacity. If you greet some Ph.D.'s with "How's it going?", they are stumped for an answer. Besides....that bad interview Palin had was an ambush. My God, both her parents were school teachers!!!!!!!

#40     Jan 8, 2009