Ayn Rand and trading...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Zachpence, Jan 7, 2009.

1. I've been trading for 30+ years and Objectivism has served me well.

Jeff

#21     Jan 7, 2009
    timdug likes this.
  2. GTG

GTG

I originally read it several years ago after noticing that a lot of successful people (especially traders and ceo's) seem to like Ayn Rand's books and philosophy. I found it hard to get into, but after the first couple hundred pages it was an easy and enjoyable read until about the last 100 or so. I don't think it has helped my trading any (My trading has always basically sucked.) but it has been an important influence on how I look at the world ever since I read it. I really wish I had read it when I was in my early 20's or late teens. I think it would have been able to get more benefit out of it in my more formative years when I was just starting out in the world.

#22     Jan 7, 2009
  3. Perhaps if he read it a few more times, your friend might become head of a more important company...

#23     Jan 8, 2009
  4. Anyone who thinks Rand's book(s) will help his trading should recognize that he is already grasping at straws. Indignation, righteous or otherwise, ain't gonna give you better setups or provide you with a better money management routine.

#24     Jan 8, 2009
  5. Agree.

#25     Jan 8, 2009
  6. Read "Anthem." Very simple, basic, interesting, communicates her philosophy without page after page of preachy rhetoric.

Would consider most traders to be somewhat objective/libertarian (small L).

#26     Jan 8, 2009
  7. Stosh

Stosh

Don't worry......Ayn Rand's philosphy is way out of favor right now. The Nanny State is well entrenched. I'm guessing that you also ridiculed Sarah Palin, Maggie Thatcher, and Ronald Reagan.
    Stosh

#27     Jan 8, 2009
  8. What was it that did it for you? The bad "literature" or the two-dimensional quackery? Or was it perhaps the exquisite indignation evoked by the black-hat / white-hat story that would have made Dr. Seuss proud (save for the unconscionable and superfluous length)?

#28     Jan 8, 2009
  9. You betcha!

#29     Jan 8, 2009
  10. Maybe more than your time, but certainly not my own. I found out the hard way, having read both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead a number of years ago. If anything, I have since learned to spend my time a bit more wisely, with my ET participation being an obvious exception. :D

#30     Jan 8, 2009