Ayn Rand and trading...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Zachpence, Jan 7, 2009.

1. nitro,

to me - morality stems from religious beliefs.
    I find moralizing something that is not appealing intellectually,
    and it tries to control freedom of thought as well as the social context, interactions.

Ethics is different, as it stems from personal integrity - and not "something larger" which is believed to exist.
    Ethics is not a concept that tries to subjugate others, or exert control over them, limiting their freedom.

Morality is something subjective - and it's like handing control over to someone else for your freedom.
    That type of totalitarian collectivism is repugnant to me...

#141     Jan 11, 2009
  2. nitro

nitro

Gringinho,

I understand what you mean, and I think I understand your objection. But I mean morality not from a religious sense, but from a philosophical perspective (which in turn tries to understand where morality comes from). Perhaps this site better explains what I mean:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/e/ethics.htm

#142     Jan 11, 2009
  3. Bootsie

Bootsie

Good Point... I wondered the same when I read Atlas...

B

#143     Jan 11, 2009
  4. jimahy

jimahy

I like his book, What did it do for me? It allowed me to see things alot differently. Has it improved my life? It has. I now think, with alot more business sense. What would I rate it? I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Do you know the true meaning of the book? Yeah i know about the illuminati and John Galt is really Philippe rothchild and daconia is really the the rockerfellers etc etc. and all this bull.

#144     Jan 14, 2009
  5. heypa

heypa

I think the building codes are the result of collusion between gov't agencies and the agencies that provide materials. It is extremely difficult to build a non standard house no matter how safe it is. Hell just look at how the simple requirements on window area vs floor area impact design and energy efficiency.
    Or how about square footage of living area is determined by external measurement rather than actual living area.
    There seems to be little accommodation for thinking outside the box.
    All for the greater good of course.

#145     Jan 14, 2009
  6. heypa

heypa

That "cop" was not alone. He was in a group. I don't know why or how he shot him but I do understand the action of the mob that retaliated by destroying property of people not involved in the incident.
    As I stated before" the veneer of civilization is very thin." The correct provocation will remove it from most of us and do it most easily in a crowd situation.
    The crowd usually gives a sense of anonymity.

#146     Jan 14, 2009
  7. timdug

timdug

Me. 100%.

#147     Mar 10, 2019
  8. timdug

timdug

Amen!

#148     Mar 10, 2019
  9. timdug

timdug

Yes but a start in itself is seemingly futile. A start, followed by another step is not.

#149     Mar 10, 2019
  10. Sig

Sig

While we're resurrecting a literally decade old thread, I thought I'd share my favorite Atlas Shrugged quote:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

#150     Mar 11, 2019
    timdug and newwurldmn like this.