avoiding automatic liquidation by IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by IBRex&me user, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Sig

Sig

Oh absolutely. In a world where The Algorithm, may it protect us from misguidance and evil, behaved rationally and there were humans who were accountable for It's actions. However in cult land of IB The Algorithm, may it be exalted, can do no wrong therefore why would you and I, mere humans, dare criticize it?
    In all seriousness, IB gives you cheap margin rates (and until recently commissions) because they hire script reading "customer service" people for almost nothing and offload all their operations and risk management onto a computer. Their instructions to the software team are to build to the average trader and simply round off those pesky edge cases, that all us doing software know take up an inordinate amount of time, in favor of IB. In other words, they've consciously decided to provide an inferior product in CS and items like this in favor of low cost that drives volume and fully expect to screw folks like us who will then most likely leave...that's built into their core business model. Of course they can't admit that to the low IQ "customer service" team, so they instead build up this god-like figure (that they seriously and unironically refer to in caps as The Algorithm in communication with customers!) that is infallible, provide no means for them to communicate with this figure even if they wanted to, and that breeds the "customer is always wrong" mentality we've all experienced. There's really no point in fighting it, if you got Peterffy drunk one night he'd probably tell you he's fully aware of the issues and made a conscious decision not to allocate resources there. So best you can do is leave and pay it forward by forewarning others who are like us. Probably won't hurt IB any but may save a few folks like us going down the same path, plus it's fun to poke fun at their fanboys:D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    #51     Feb 27, 2020
    d0rian likes this.
  2. Sig

Sig

That's very clever, thanks for sharing it. I used to do something similar to trick It by entering an opposite, out of market limit order on the verticals I had on to prevent It from incorrectly interpreting a widening of bid/ask spreads as my vertical losing more than it was possible for it to lose.

#52     Feb 27, 2020
    ktm likes this.
  3. ktm

ktm

It's amazing the things we have to do just to achieve some basic and fair operation of the platform.

#53     Feb 27, 2020
  4. d0rian

d0rian

Well please post once you hear back / get a resolution...since if that's really what happened -- the Algorithm auto-liquidated a long position that had the effect of worsening your margin deficit -- that would seem to seem to fly in the face of something pretty fundamental about what the Algorithm is even supposed to do; in fact it would be detrimental to IB's own interests in that they (via their customer) would be even more exposed.

#54     Feb 27, 2020