avoiding automatic liquidation by IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by IBRex&me user, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Dear fellow traders,
    l was informed by IB's Tom today that to avoid liquidation:
    1. l would only have to ensure net liq value is greater than 90% of current maintenance margin.
    2. are there not other things to look out for eg 'current excess liquidity' having to be greater than 0 by 345pm ET(to avoid potential automatic liquidation), or do they just come together, so if current excess liquidity is greater than zero, then net liq value is greater than 90% of current maintenance margin?
    3.does IB not give margin calls?
    4. how does IB lite compare to their pro for trading US options?
    thanks in advance

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

1. If that is what he said, get it in writing. If it turns out he lied and you get liquidated by having greater than 90% current maintenance margin in your account, sue them for breach of contract.

2. See #1.

3. You bet your ass they do. I believe they even charge you a few for margin calls.

4. No knowledge of that.

3. Good luck with that one... You'd probably have more luck complaining to the relevant regulatory body.

murray t turtle and comagnum like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I know, but really, how else can you respond with something that MIGHT be a valid idea? IB is a monster and can do what they want with impunity to the small guys. Sux.

5. Maybe this is IB's infinite leverage-gate.

6. gaussian

gaussian

Just because a rep says something doesn't make it true. IB clearly delineates their trading policies on their website, and in the Tolkien-esque legal documents they make you sign.

OP is advised to read what he signed. Talking to a rep isn't a contract signing.

7. Overnight

Overnight

Exactly. Which is why I typed..."1. If that is what he said, get it in writing."

8. gaussian

gaussian

I did terrible on English placement exams because I can't read.

9. Sig

Sig

Actually in my experience if someone in "customer service" at IB tells you something that actually makes it less likely to be true!

10. Overnight

Overnight

"Cannot reading" and "just not reading" are two different things. You get a pass. :)

#10     Nov 14, 2019