Avoid "Danger"

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by r2d2, Oct 12, 2009.

1. r2d2

r2d2

http://www.dailytech.com/The+Dark+S...ustomers+Lose+All+Their+Data/article16470.htm

Microsoft's subsidiary Danger, purchased in 2008, is one of the most extensive adopters of cloud computing.

However, Danger has experienced a catastrophic cloud computing failure – starting Friday October 2, customers across the country began to lose their service. The entire weekend the service remained out, with service finally being restored by Tuesday, October 6.

Then came the bad news for Danger's customers -- it had lost all of their data, including personal items like pictures. States a T-Mobile message to subscribers, "Regrettably, based on Microsoft/Danger’s latest recovery assessment of their systems, we must now inform you that personal information stored on your device – such as contacts, calendar entries, to-do lists or photos – that is no longer on your Sidekick almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger."

2. maxpi

maxpi

Microsoft's backup services that are bundled with their OS's have failed me more than once... I would not use Microsoft for anything at all were it not for Word and Excel.. Excel is exceptional..

I'd love to have trading software running on Linux but the selection is limited..

Microsoft OS's suck, especially regarding the internet and security in general. They never were designed for networking in the first place and they still are not.

Trusting Microsoft with your photos and docs is lame really... Win98 would even routinely trash native files..

3. Why would/did anyone ever buy Win98? WinNT/2000 were available during Win98's lifespan, and they were real OSs.