Averaging IN (not Averaging Down)

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Newc2, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Please define a "capital trade" and an "income trade" as they apply to you. Maybe an example of each.

#11     Apr 13, 2018
  2. Newc2

Newc2

Hi. I should have mentioned that I am referring to position trading.

But I am interested in your figures of the market being 80/20 against me scaling in when my trade plan is unknown to anybody except myself. Are you saying that the markets are trendless or trend only exist over the short term? I am a little confused.

Maybe scaling in works only for those who have a good understanding of market structure using higher time frames BUT those with more of a random entry require to scale out?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    #12     Apr 13, 2018
  3. TDMA

TDMA

The devil is always in the detail, well a capital trade builds capital so are long term or high volatility trades, an income trade generates income so short term or low volatility trades. In any trading you have breadth and depth, the combination combined with timeframe determines the strategy.

Three dimensional, I know down to 100ms charts where the exact crossover occurs, but I am not going to attempt to explain it to anyone, it's built in to the algos and quite happily staying there.

#13     Apr 13, 2018
    Adam777 likes this.
  4. TDMA

TDMA

"when my trade plan is unknown to anybody except myself" this is strictly not correct, it comes down to human psychology, hence on paper using scaling on both income and capital trades should be a 50/50 basis, however unless you are very experienced it skews to 80/20 against you. That is why you rarely see both an income trader and a capital trader, I do both but prefer capital trading, a lot less effort for a lot more gain. Whatever you do, the key is to not over leverage, less is more and with capital trading you need to perfect your entry, more units. Position trading is a subset of capital trading.

#14     Apr 13, 2018
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

In chop averaging down works great, in trend averaging IN works great.

Averaging down in trend against you kills you ofcourse.

Averaging IN in chop, means you buy the wrong side of the range.

#15     Apr 13, 2018
    Hotcakes and Newc2 like this.
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

There is never a situation where averaging or scaling is beneficial over the long haul. Use correctly sized full position at the outset and you won't get caught up in the inferior behavior of averaging.

#16     Apr 13, 2018
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Averaging is only good for long term investors who don't yet have the funds to invest fully at the beginning. ---Dollar cost averagers like 401kers

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    #17     Apr 13, 2018
  8. Newc2

Newc2

Thanks. I guess averaging in with higher buy points might be more prudent? Livermore did this

#18     Apr 13, 2018
  9. EsKiller

EsKiller

If you want to talk trends, say a downtrend, I’ll often enter at a resistance area for a partial position. I’ll average down a little if it goes against me with proper structure only, or if price develops some type of bull trap, I’ll enter on the breakdown, which is what you’re talking about, averaging into a position. Although I’ll never hold into multiple Eliot waves. I’m a scalper

Some types of reversal setups, I’ll take “price risk” by entering when volume is supportive of the reversal, and average in after price begins being supportive of it.

#19     Apr 13, 2018
    Newc2 likes this.
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Not over the long haul. You are better off just putting your full position on.

#20     Apr 14, 2018