Averaging down on housing

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by 220volt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Agree w Dudeoflife - wait til there is a BK first or the Fed cuts. Maybe this time homebuilders pulled up their stakes soon enough, but there is no reason to believe they did so...

Watch the price to book for the group for it to hit .80 - you can do this easily at Yahoo industry groups.

#11     Jul 18, 2007
  2. 220volt

220volt

Interesting point, butI don't think you can compare nasdaq bubble with housing and vica versa.

Some markets recover quicker then others.

#12     Jul 18, 2007
  3. If you enjoy losing money go ahead. Trying to find the bottom for a three year selloff is suicidal.

#13     Jul 18, 2007
  4. Have you looked at the 30 year Japanese housing chart ?

#14     Jul 18, 2007
  5. Please don't let me talk you out of something you really want to do but I will ask you two questions.

Prior to the housing run up at what p/e did most builders normally trade at? Have the builders ever traded at the PE they were trading at during their run to the top at any time in their past?

When you answer those two questions you will have your answer in my opinion.

Housing is not a long term growth industry. It just happend to have a great run.

Metals are not a long term growth industry. They just happened to have a nice run.

Mining is not a long term growth industry. They just happened to have a nice run.

Railroads are not a long term growth industry. They just happened to have a nice run.

#15     Jul 18, 2007
  6. Good point. After their housing bubble burst, prices declined 13 years in a row.

#16     Jul 18, 2007
  7. "Some markets recover quicker then others"

That's true, but are you sure housing market recovers faster than NSDQ, or another way around? How do you it won't take 10 years fro housing market to recover?

#17     Jul 19, 2007
  8. 220volt

220volt

I just bought 100 shares of XHB (Homebuilder spider) and will continue buying dips ONLY. No matter if XHB starts going up or down. I will only buy dips.
    This is a multi year trade, so it is for a long run.
    I will keep posting results here.

1) 07-26-2007 Bought 100 shares @26.72
    Closing price 27.01
    Profit: 0.90%

#18     Jul 26, 2007
  9. average down all the way until 2009-10 if you like the index here, you will love 20- 40% discount from these levels. Safe bets provide alot of liquidity.

#19     Jul 26, 2007