Average Wall St paycheck $300k?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Drew07

Drew07

I didn't mean to make myself out to be some kind of a nerd, I do plently of drinking and ass chasing. But I just turned 21 and realized, Hey I'm an effing adult now. Successful people people don't dick around and expect oppurtunities to fall in their lap. I'm tired of hearing fellow students brag about how much they think they're going to make after they graduate when they're not motivated enough to get out of bed for a 1pm class. I love college and I know it is the best time of my life, but I'm anxious to get out there and earn something since I've had almost everything handed to me thus far...is that so crazy?

#11     Oct 18, 2006
  2. sledged

sledged

Drew, I agree with you 100%. I am out of school 1 year now and have had to earn everything that has come to me after school. About 70% of my friends took 5 years to graduate college and felt that it was their 'right' to do this. It didnt bother any of them that they took a whole extra year to graduate when I was able to do a dbl major in 4 years and still go out 4 nights a week.

Long hours are what seperate a high paying job from a pushover 9-5 where your aspirations are to someday be able to afford the bottom of the line Lexus when you are 45. We would all like to be the kid who invented facebook but realistically its not gonna happen. Even with long hours one can still act like a person in their early 20's should act, its just when you go to the bars you dont have to worry about picking up rounds like your friends who still havent found a job after looking for a year. Its all tradeoffs and I think you have the right mind set. Managers are lookin for hungry young guys.

#12     Oct 18, 2006
  3. Drew07

Drew07

What do you do now sledged?

#13     Oct 18, 2006
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

exactly......the good ole days....chasing punnani all day...

#14     Oct 18, 2006
  5. jllm03

jllm03

NO NO NO... I am NOT suggesting that Wall Street workers are rich and in it for a free ride... I am stating that this article came out only because timing... elections... It's purpose is to setup a "Have and the Have Nots" scenario that is played out in the media everyday. Wall Street works their ass off for what they get, and what they have to pay for by living in NY. The media wants everyone to think that Wall street is for the elitist, and loves to show how much they get compared to Joe Schmo working in wal-mart. The "Free Ride" comment is for the people that complain about what everyone else makes, but won't get off their ass and do the work to make it on their own.

#15     Oct 18, 2006
  6. A lot of people come to a website like EliteTrader with dollar signs in their head trying to make a quick buck.

Its true, there are some people out there that are able to turn a quick buck and make a profit as if they won the lottery. However, there are also many other people that lose big.

I am always pounding my fists on this issue to anyone who will listen. If you want to make a lot of cash, then you have to start early. Today is very different then 10 years ago. Anyone can log on a site like www.sharebuilder.com or www.computershare.com and buy shares. When I was in college, I would have gone through a broker and the process was more complex.

All of you have a unique opportunity in that you can log on to these websites and purchase stock. My strong advice for those in high school and college is the following:

- Do your homework and find at least 10 different stocks that you believe will easily go up in the next 5-10 years.

My answers would be All-State, Colgate, McDonalds, Caterpillar and Wells Fargo. These are stocks that are going to appreciate in the next 5-10 years no matter what happens.

- Next, go to their website and find a way to put your cash into their dividend reinvestment program.

- Next, forget about these stocks for the next 5 years and party, have fun.

Yep, thats it. Thats all you have to do.

The trick is doing this as early on in life as you possibly can and making wise decisions. Even if you can only invest $1000 a year during college, well, thats good enough.

Do not get me wrong. Im not saying to go out there and buy any stock that you can find. Im also not saying to sink all your cash into one stock. Find at least 10 well established large cap dividend producing companies and invest equal amounts into each. Research each company and talk it out with someone to see if it makes sense.

All of the companies I have mentioned have been around for at least 50 years and their long term chart has a staircase walkup pattern.

#16     Oct 18, 2006
  7. sledged

sledged

Work at one of the larger I-banks in NY

#17     Oct 18, 2006
  8. ..another yuppie asshole to be......

#18     Oct 18, 2006
  9. Drew07

Drew07

Explain this comment

#19     Oct 18, 2006
  10. Drew07

Drew07

Sorry I must've misinterpreted jllm, I agree with you on that one.

#20     Oct 18, 2006